Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Password Protect Windows Shutdown/restart

Is it possible to add password protection so that everyone has to enter a password before they can shut dwon the computer?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i have seen a way to remove the ability to shutdown a computer by just editing one registry entry.

cant remember for the life of me what it is called now.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ummm...which OS?
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    It would be irrelevant. If you were to lock someone out of shutting down your computer and they wanted to shut it down, if you have a modern box they can simply press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds (it was 9 seconds on my last computer, a Comsuq) it will shut down. Or it could be reset by the button.

Sorry, I don&#39;t know how you could do that.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i know linux can lock people out from turning it off. mainly for users who login from a remote location though.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Windows XP professional.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by DarkReality@2 December 2003 - 20:07
    It would be irrelevant. If you were to lock someone out of shutting down your computer and they wanted to shut it down, if you have a modern box they can simply press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds (it was 9 seconds on my last computer, a Comsuq) it will shut down. Or it could be reset by the button.

You are right. But in extreme cases where you run a server on you computer and are afraid if any of ur kids/anyone might shut it down accidently this is what you do.

Open the case and remove both the PWR and RST lines from the motherboards header.
    In windows control panel, go to users accounts, select change the way users log on, and turn off fast user switching. Id also change the login screen to classic win2k.

Then , whenever you are leaving the computer, press WindowKey+L to lock the computer or press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and select Lock Computer.

The chances to shut down the computer are minimized through this.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by I.am+3 December 2003 - 03:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am &#064; 3 December 2003 - 03:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-DarkReality@2 December 2003 - 20:07
    It would be irrelevant.&nbsp; If you were to lock someone out of shutting down your computer and they wanted to shut it down, if you have a modern box they can simply press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds (it was 9 seconds on my last computer, a Comsuq) it will shut down.&nbsp; Or it could be reset by the button.

You are right. But in extreme cases where you run a server on you computer and are afraid if any of ur kids/anyone might shut it down accidently this is what you do.

Open the case and remove both the PWR and RST lines from the motherboards header.
    In windows control panel, go to users accounts, select change the way users log on, and turn off fast user switching. Id also change the login screen to classic win2k.

Then , whenever you are leaving the computer, press WindowKey+L to lock the computer or press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and select Lock Computer.

The chances to shut down the computer are minimized through this.[/b][/quote]
    you could also create a desktop shortcout to this (%windir%&#092;System32&#092;rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation) location to lock the computer. I named it DO NOT TOUCH, its funny when they do because they dont know your password. lol

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Goblin05+2 December 2003 - 22:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goblin05 &#064; 2 December 2003 - 22:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by I.am@3 December 2003 - 03:14
    <!--QuoteBegin-DarkReality
    @2 December 2003 - 20:07
    It would be irrelevant.&nbsp; If you were to lock someone out of shutting down your computer and they wanted to shut it down, if you have a modern box they can simply press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds (it was 9 seconds on my last computer, a Comsuq) it will shut down.&nbsp; Or it could be reset by the button.

The chances to shut down the computer are minimized through this.
    you could also create a desktop shortcout to this (%windir%&#092;System32&#092;rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation) location to lock the computer. I named it DO NOT TOUCH, its funny when they do because they dont know your password. lol[/b][/quote]
    That locks the box it does not prevent people who are already logged on a box from shutting it down.

To prevent that youll need to make a few changes to the group policy settings on that computer or if your on a server then the server box. Group policy settings can be changed in administrative tools but there is also an option to go straight to it by entering the command in the run box. I forget the command, havent had an xp installing and configuring class in 2 semesters.

you should see something like this. I think this is the section its in.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    if someone wants the computer off bad enough they are just going to pull the plug on it, i don&#39;t think there is a way to disable that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast