Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Completed Horror Series/ Movies

I still think Aliens Series stands the test of time. I particularly liked Aliens (1986) and the Queen Alien.

2. Movies & TV   -   #12
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    The problem with that is that Aliens is not a horror movie. A movie can have horrific elements and still not be Horror. Think Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom if you are confused by that statement.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #13
    Both of you make good points. I don't think of the Alien series as horror movies (more like sci-fi action), but they certainly have shades of such, especially the first. And the licensed game not only didn't suck, but was scary in its own right.

Third movie was awful, though. Resurrection was okay.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Movies & TV   -   #14
    The original Alien was definitely Horror. Problems with that not being apparent is the setting where the USCSS Nostromo is in reality really just a stand-in for the traditional haunted house. What would you call Event Horizon then? It's also set in space and the crew run around a lot.

5. Movies & TV   -   #15
    So what elements make a film a horror film?

6. Movies & TV   -   #16
    I would say that they invoke a feeling of dread. Notice I said dread, not fear because you can be afraid and still excited in a positive sort of way. With a horror movie as opposed to say an adventure, most of emotions the viewer feels are going to be quite negative. In horror movies, bad things almost always result in bad outcomes.
    Btw that once didn't use to be the case like with the old Universal monster movies where the "good guys" still got to win in the end. Nowadays it's basically de rigueur that horror movies have to end on a downer which is something I don't like.

7. Movies & TV   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Problems with that not being apparent is the setting where the USCSS Nostromo is in reality really just a stand-in for the traditional haunted house.
    Add the complete isolation and that in space no one can hear you scream and you're on

Quote Originally Posted by Zupper View Post
    So what elements make a film a horror film?
    I think uncertainty and the feeling that something is off hold far more weight than actual horror or scares. Say, The Shining. Even the elevator flood scene was less "eeek, ugh, that's a lot of blood" and more "okay... what was that, where did it come from, and why?".

8. Movies & TV   -   #18
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I think uncertainty and the feeling that something is off hold far more weight than actual horror or scares.
    I remember back in the day going to the cinema with my friends on Buck Night (all movies just a dollar), and since we were late, there was only one movie that had not started yet. Nobody knew anything about it, had never heard of it or its predecessor, and we were all just "Why not. Surely it will be entertaining and it's only a buck."

That movie was "Nightmare on Elm Street II".

Scarred me for life.

9. Movies & TV   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Add the complete isolation and that in space no one can hear you scream and you're on
    I killed a man with a Dyson once. His wife was in the very next room and she didn't hear a thing because there's no sound in a..... well, you know.

10. Movies & TV   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    That movie was "Nightmare on Elm Street II".

Scarred me for life.
    Did you need a heart transplant after Freddy vs. Jason?

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    she didn't hear a thing because there's no sound in a..... well, you know.
    Explains why nothing shaina hears goes in one ear and out the other

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast