Thread: Bt Is Doing My Head In!

hiya, how are you doing? good, glad to hear it.
    I have recently started using bittorrent (shadows client) and have had some mixed results, the first time i used it i dl'ed something from filesoup and my speed was good after the first couple of hours -started at about 10k/s and finished at about 50k/s which i was very happy with, but when i got something from supanova i was connected for over 24 hours and uploaded over 200 meg but only downloaded about 20 meg yet some of the peers where downloading in excess 100k/s now i understand that your d/l speed is proportional to your upload but my share rating was over 10. then i thought it was because i havent seeded so i went back to filesoup where i have seeded about three times the size of the original file i d/led and my upload and d/l speeds were about 2k/s. i dont mind leaving a torrent window open for as long as it takes to d/l and then seed but this is ridiculous, a 1.5 gb file from supanova is going to take nearly 2000 HOURS!! any advice would be very welcome.oh yeah, nearly forgot, what does manual and external announce mean? cheers.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    another question, does anyone know why when i am using bittorrent even though my download and upload speeds are around 0/1 k/s if i try to access a web site it takes forever to open a page, hope someone can help before i just give up on the fuggin thing cheers

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by jumpmonkey@2 December 2003 - 14:15
    hiya, how are you doing?  good, glad to hear it.
    I have recently started using bittorrent (shadows client) and have had some mixed results, the first time i used it i dl'ed something from filesoup and my speed was good after the first couple of hours -started at about 10k/s and finished at about 50k/s which i was very happy with, but when i got something from supanova i was connected for over 24 hours and uploaded over 200 meg but only downloaded about 20 meg yet some of the peers where downloading in excess 100k/s now i understand that your d/l speed is proportional to your upload but my share rating was over 10. then i thought it was because i havent seeded so i went back to filesoup where i have seeded about three times the size of the original file i d/led and my upload and d/l speeds were about 2k/s. i dont mind leaving a torrent window open for as long as it takes to d/l and then seed but this is ridiculous, a 1.5 gb file from supanova is going to take nearly 2000 HOURS!! any advice would be very welcome.oh yeah, nearly forgot, what does manual and external announce mean? cheers.
    Try changing the setting (drop down arrow), I cannot recall which setting right now, but there is one listed for dsl/cable slow, give ratio as 13kB/s upload rate, 4 uploads max. I use it that and get anywhere from 175kB/s - 225 kB/s dl, although I get my download quicker I return to 'unlimited' and seed so that at least 2 more can complete and seed, giving back what I received. It's only fair B)

and you might want to make sure you have port forwardding if you have a router.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Your downloads and websurfing are being strangled by your uploads, use Netlimiter to control the bandwidth used by all processes running on your internet connection B)

also remember your downloads need upload bandwith to request the "next bit"

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    thanks a lot, i limit my upload to about 20 K a second and have started getting much faster download. i have another question which seems so far to be limited to suprnova, everything i have d\l'ed from suprnova will,at some point freeze mid download and the only way to get it going again is to close the window and start the download again, any ideas whats causing it? i dont get any error messages. also, will it affect my upload rating with the tracker or does it keep a runing score so to speak. about the slow web access tho', it doesn't matter if i am only actually uploading about 2K\s it is still horrendously slow or did you mean if i have set to 20 K\s in shadows download settings then i automatically lose that much even if it isn't all being used?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    muchspl2
    sounds like you have win98 or 95 they can't handle allot of Internet connection's

check out the FAQ either way B)

http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    i did have ME but have got xp pro now (cheers suprnova&#33
    i thought this would cure it but my torrents still freeze totally at random
    although usually after at least an hour. does anyone else have this problem?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Originally posted by jumpmonkey@28 December 2003 - 04:58
    although usually after at least an hour. does anyone else have this problem?
    It sounds like it's eating all your resources up, what about trying an other client
    maybe Abc http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/ pretty low cpu usage

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by junkyardking+28 December 2003 - 00:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (junkyardking @ 28 December 2003 - 00:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jumpmonkey@28 December 2003 - 04:58
    although usually after at least an hour.&nbsp; does anyone else have this problem?
    It sounds like it&#39;s eating all your resources up, what about trying an other client
    maybe Abc http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/ pretty low cpu usage [/b][/quote]
    i use regular shadow&#39;s, and in task manager, it says btdownloadgui cpu is 00