Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dimensions Of A Water Block For Amd Athlon Xp Cpu

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Ehiem pumps come very highly recommended, that is what I want to use also.

Radiator?

I've thought that a heater core from a car might be just the ticket.

Big and cheap, if you get it from a junkyard.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@3 December 2003 - 23:28
    Ehiem pumps come very highly recommended, that is what I want to use also.

Radiator?

I've thought that a heater core from a car might be just the ticket.

Big and cheap, if you get it from a junkyard.
    Sorry for not responding before I'm quite busy those days

For the radiator, I have two projects:

1°) As I don't have any tools to weld, and as I don't know and don't wan't to spend time washing a car heater, I will buy a 8-12 metters slack copper tubes of 10/12cm diameter:
    , and I will just make a spiral of it. It wil be a huge radiator but the water flow power will be off course decreased.

2°) find someone who can make me something like that:

http://www.webx.dk/oz2cpu/pcmod/zero...tercooling.htm

And always use copper!! Some people might say that aluminium dissipate the heat better, but they're wrong, I've red stuff from the website of the administrator of this same watercooling related forum. The guy is a phisician or something: I hope you can read that: http://membres.lycos.fr/roscool/arti...hp?id=8&page=0

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Interesting.
    A passive radiator.
    Precisely what I had in mind also.

Your coiled tubing concept would need to be immersed in water I think, to be very effective at all.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@5 December 2003 - 00:37
    Your coiled tubing concept would need to be immersed in water I think, to be very effective at all.
    Well I've been told on this forum that a eheim 1250 will do the job, and that this methode in general is efficient, but only if you don't overclock.
    So it might be ok But there's always a perfect value for the lenght of the tube. What I mean is: If you choose a lower or higher value your Cpu vill increase in temperature, due to the fact that the longer your tube is, the less flow speed you get. That's a big point.

Ps : Have a look to what I edited about copper if you haven't already did it. This is important.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Oh! and very important too: All the things I told you ( Which pump should be powerfull enough ect...) are about my Barton 2500. I don't know if it will cool enough other CPUs

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    I understand your point, leonidas.

My point is that plain copper tubing, all by itself is not a very effective radiator ( especially if it's radiating into the air) because of the ratio of surface area to volume.
    You simply don't have enough surface area to dissipate much heat in the distance with which you have to work.

Your second choice is much better, provided that a good ( and continuous) job of soldering is done.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@5 December 2003 - 01:06
    I understand your point, leonidas.

My point is that plain copper tubing, all by itself is not a very effective radiator ( especially if it's radiating into the air) because of the ratio of surface area to volume.
    You simply don't have enough surface area to dissipate much heat in the distance with which you have to work.

Your second choice is much better, provided that a good ( and continuous) job of soldering is done.
    Yes off course. But it's hard to make. you gotta have a very powerfull blowtorch and you must off course be able to master it, and be very carefull twisting the copper tube.

Why not using a home made hermetic aquarium as a radiator then May be a good idea

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    It would be a very good idea sir.

I have seen it done.

Just drop your coil of tubing into a container of water and I'll bet your temps drop by 10-15%.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@5 December 2003 - 01:19
    It would be a very good idea sir.

I have seen it done.

Just drop your coil of tubing into a container of water and I'll bet your temps drop by 10-15%.
    yes but I mean why just not using all the water contained in the aquarium to cool the whole thing? It will work better, and prevent the rusting problem you might have putting the copper under water.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Speaking of watercooling methods, I think you guys might find this method interesting.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles389/index.asp

I found it awhile back, and plan to do it in about 8 months when I start school for my senior year of high schhol (For a senior project that all seniors are required at me school to do, to pass.)

I am typing up a paper now, but I have read up throughly on it, and would be glad to dicuss it with you perhaps tomorrow or something, when I check back on this thread.

Gn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast