Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dimensions Of A Water Block For Amd Athlon Xp Cpu

leonidas's Avatar Poster
    I'm going to buy a Waterblock to a guy, but he dosen't know if it fits on Amd Xp Athlon cpus. He gave me the measurements: (Length & width betwen the 4 screws site)

6.5 x 3.5 cm.

Is that ok?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Most Waterblocks will fit on an AMD CPU, if they are amde for a socket A CPU, the main thing that comes into play is if it is notoriously too big and there comes problems with like capicators around the CPU sockets, or various other things around it.

I would just look for AMD waterblocks, read some reviews and u should be able to get a gerenal idea about how well they will fit, etc etc.

Gotta make sure u have the mounting holes too I beleive to mounting alot of waterblocks.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    As near as I can tell, without pulling my motherboard out and removing the HSF, those dimensions are right.
    What brand water block is this and why doesn't the seller know if it's appropriate for AMDs?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@3 December 2003 - 00:35
    As near as I can tell, without pulling my motherboard out and removing the HSF, those dimensions are right.
    What brand water block is this and why doesn't the seller know if it's appropriate for AMDs?
    It's a homemade one. And the seller said that another guy told him it was for AMD. But the seller is not sure it can fit on an AMD cos he didn't tried it himself because he used it only for his P4. That's the story

He sels it for 16 €. I think it's great.

Here are some photos of this waterblock: (It wasn't washed in the 2 first pic)

http://membres.lycos.fr/blqbestaflex/vtes/WB.jpg
    http://membres.lycos.fr/blqbestaflex/vtes/WB2.jpg
    http://membres.lycos.fr/blqbestaflex/WB/apres6.jpg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by leonidas@2 December 2003 - 16:52

He sels it for 16 €. I think it's great.

I am skeptical, leonidas.
    All of the dual-use blocks that I have seen have twosets of holes, one for AMD and one for Intel. They are close but not the same. If that block works on an Intel then I doubt that it will fit your AMD.

Also, the design of waterblocks is fairly sophisticated. Do you have any idea what the flowpath of the coolant is like in that one? It could be great, homemade doesn't necessarily mean bad, but the fact is, you cant open it up and see.

How is that meant to mount to the motherboard? What keeps it from cocking and cracking your chip?

I'd be very careful with this unit...you may save some money and be very happy, but it's just as likely that you could be in for a lot of trouble....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by clocker+3 December 2003 - 01:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 3 December 2003 - 01:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leonidas@2 December 2003 - 16:52

He sels it for 16 €. I think it&#39;s great.

I am skeptical, leonidas.
    All of the dual-use blocks that I have seen have twosets of holes, one for AMD and one for Intel. They are close but not the same. If that block works on an Intel then I doubt that it will fit your AMD.

Also, the design of waterblocks is fairly sophisticated. Do you have any idea what the flowpath of the coolant is like in that one? It could be great, homemade doesn&#39;t necessarily mean bad, but the fact is, you cant open it up and see.

How is that meant to mount to the motherboard? What keeps it from cocking and cracking your chip?

I&#39;d be very careful with this unit...you may save some money and be very happy, but it&#39;s just as likely that you could be in for a lot of trouble.... [/b][/quote]
    He said he fixed it to his p4 and board with fixings he made himself.
    I will fix it with care, regarding what you&#39;re saying.

About performances, he told me that the waterblock worked well on a AMD Xp 1700 18 µ which I checked is the same wattage as the barton 2500 I&#39;m going to buy (1700=64.0watts / Barton2500=68.30watts) And as I won&#39;t overclock anything at the beguining, I guess it will be ok and I can even switch later for a great 50€-60€ one.
    Also the guy does seem to be a reliable personn. he has written on his signature that he&#39;s a moderator and testor of a couple of french hardware dedicated forums. Plus I will meet him for the transaction. So I will see the Waterblock before paying anything.

Just a question: Will I need some special fixings even if the holes of the wb are fitting with the holes of the motherboard ?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I have seen several methods used to attach the water block.

One way uses brackets which are screwed to the board and then the block screws to the brackets. Zalman uses this method.

The other common method is to use screws, springs and spacers.

However you mount it, the trick is to make sure that it is firmly against the chip and also flat, making full contact.

The seller should be able to help you out with suggestions.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Ok thanks a lot

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Have you decided on the other components for this setup yet?
    Pump, radiator, etc.?

I&#39;d be very interested in how this works out for you leonidas, as I&#39;m about ready to begin doing the same thing...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    I&#39;m going to make it "homemade" exept for the pump. I will take one which is used for aquariums, an "eheim". They don&#39;t make noise at all if you fix them corectly, and they are corectly powerfull and cheap. A guy told me that he had to touch it with his hands each time he started his computer, to check if it was working as it made no noise

I&#39;ll inform you later when I set all that up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast