Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ftp/site Setup

Not really related but i didnt know where to post...

My freind showed me how he linked his ip address to an ftp he setup and also had his own webpage at the adress. How do you set this up? Im on Xp and i dont care too much about the site thing but itd be handy to have an ftp.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    there is a guide in the lounge of this here. still i do prefer to use filezilla rather then bulletproof.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    and i still prefer bulletproof over filezilla

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Much prefer bulletproof myself too.

x_gimpg: i guess if your not gonna have another site host your FTP for you, then maybe your thinking of having your own server at home. Just remember that if you have a "static" IP (one that dosnt change), then thats fine, but if you have a "dynamic" IP (one that changes on a daily basis), then you have to inform your frinds etc all the time whenever it changes. Apart from that, it works fine on XP - used it myself for quite a while.

Anyways, that link above is a very good guide, just thought i'd remind you about the IP bit.

Peace
    UKMan

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yeah, thanks ukman thats what my plan was... Do i go set up a server in XP first then? Im xp home btw, never done any of this before. Thanks though its a start

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by x_gimpg@3 December 2003 - 04:33
    Yeah, thanks ukman thats what my plan was... Do i go set up a server in XP first then? Im xp home btw, never done any of this before. Thanks though its a start 
    Well, the info in that guide above is very good - but the software will set it all up for you. IMO bullet is very easy to use - just read the help stuff - but read that guide above very carefully and you shouldnt have any problems.

Set up an account for one of your friends to logon with - just share a folder with some simple stuff in it first - that way you dont risk anything. As i said, the above guide is very good.

Peace
    UKMan

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    a little note about security.

make sure you dont give anyone privaleges that they should not have. giving some fella you dont know read,write,append and delete access to all your files is plain stupid.

there are always people out there scanning for services running on machiens and an ftp server is a nice target for people.

make sure you stay up to date with any service you run on your machine. running a outdated version is very dangerous especially if there is a know exploit. no firewall can protect you since you are gonna have to allow traffic through for the ftp server to work.

stay up to date, sign up to their mailing list for up to date information( this is why i like to use filezilla since using a stolen serial key and signing up to bulletproof's mailing list would probably be stupid).

use strong passwords for users since bruteforcing a ftp server is pretty simple.

and if your really paranoid like me you could probably setup a sftp server instead so passwords cannot be sniffed.

good luck B)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Do i need to do anything special to change it from a home ftp to one available past my local ip? Its showing 192.168........ right now

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    you need to forward port 21 on your router.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Woo think i got it, thanks all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast