Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Problem

Poster
    I think my motherboard is fuxxed anyone confirm?

i was plugging in a usb cable when my pc unexpectedly restarted.. it came back on for about 5 secs then died on me.
    Now when i start it; it sounds fine but the monitor won't work also the keyboard and mouse have no life and when i start it i don't hear the beeps anymore to confirm it's started ok.

anyone got any suggestions..plz

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    oops i forgot to add it done the same thing ealier today... i took the ram and all the input devices out and plugged them in again and for some weird reason it worked but when it started it asked for the date and told me to register windows.

of course when it went the second time i tryed what i did first time but no luck this time.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Next time when you detach any hardware in you PC make sure you put it back before you boot.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Ya i know that now I guess I've learnt the hard way... but any ideas on how to solve this problem.
    so far people have told me.
    my motherboards fried , replace the battrey , power supplys on the blink.

anyone know whic to try?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    its impossible to tell you what it is without looking at it. sometimes its something simple like you put your ide cable in backwards or your motherbaord could be fried.

check pins on all the cables you played with , check all the ram is in snug and check all parts are tightly placed in sockets. oh yeah and your fans are working nothing worse then overheating.

i would check transisters on your motherboard as well. they are noramlly flat on the top but if they have suddenly developed a bulge they will be broken.

if all is fine then i would take it to a repair shop.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Since your getting no beeps, I'd try clearing your cmos,
    Use the reset pins or just remove the battery for a few minutes and see if it boots next time.

This happens when you OC to far, and you get nothing after it restarts,
    So while your not ocing, but still the problem in similar, so try clearing the cmos.
    May work.

If not, and you can't find anything else wrong, only thing left to do is start removing cards, and try to boot the system with just cpu and ram in mobo, and see if it boots then.

Sometimes a dead card can cause a system to not boot as well, I've experienced this many times with Lucent modems specifically.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Thanks for all your help guys but still no luck.

I'm running outta options here.

What I've done so far:
    taking out all cards etc...
    unplugged leads and placed them back in again
    reset the cmos and took battery out
    removed ram sticks and tryed two spare ones

I'm running out of ideas but luckly I've still got three years gold cover on it meaning they have to replace it no matter what the damage or who done it and how so in the long run i'm ok just sending it off takes time.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    You should always start by replacing the cheapest part (PSU) then work your way up. I once had a very similar problem where, when I booted the hard drive would load and display on the monitor sometimes and other times it would not, turned out to the PSU was faulty, thankfully.
    ABIT NF7s--Athlon 2800--80gbMaxtor--41gbIBM--1024DDRpc3200--PowCol9800XT--Pioneer106DVD/RW--PlextorCD/RW--SonyDVD

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by DJ X@2 December 2003 - 20:12

i was plugging in a usb cable when my pc unexpectedly restarted..
    What was the USB cable that you were plugging in?
    Are your mouse and keyboard USB devices or not?

When you power up do the fans work and does your monitor wake up?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Maybe it's a Samsung monitor, clocker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast