Thread: Bitorrent Newbie

hey, i'm been having problems getting this thing to work.....i've installed it and tried a few new links here and there from supernova, and for a dsl connection.....i'm pissed that there's always like this 56k type download speed that i get total from everything i try to download....it's always less than like 6kb/sec and it's just horrible.........i'm using sbc yahoo dsl.....so anyone else with this, can you help me figure out what i'm supposed to configure in what or where so that it the connection will be like all other dsl connections...at 150kb a sec? i just don't get it........and yeah.i've read the faq from that one site, but that still doesn't help solve my problem......

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster
    have a router?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    uh.....what is that? i don't think so........it's connected to my computer by some funny looking thing....with three lights........

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Speed depends on the type of dsl connection you have
    if you have for instance a 512-256 connection max speed you can get is like 64KB (divided by8. "it's bits and bytes") but that's just the ideal speed you will hardly reach the max speeds all the time. It also depends on how much people seed & leech.

There are a lot more factors that are important to speeds you get, like what kind of program you use, the amount of torrents you open up at the same time, if you're behind a router etc...

so basicly we need more info from you before someone can help. Like kind of DSL you have if you're behind a router, how much torrents you have opened. the programm you trying to use .... etc..

Maybe you can help yourself a bit by reading up a bit more it will make a lot things more clear

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    well.all i know is that i always download one at a time....and i use the shadow client for the bitorrent....uh....about the router thing......i don't know what the fuck that is, but i guess i have it......well.....if that's what you call the dsl thingy that you plug into your computer......it's like oval shaped and sits next to my case......so i don't know...........i have the sbc yahoo dsl that i usually can download at an average of 145kb / sec.....the seeds for the files i search for are always high, so i figure since more people, then better connections and more added up speed, but that doesn't seem to happen to me.......i only get like 4-6 kb/sec on teh status screen.......and that's horrible.......that's like the speed that you'd average from a 56k modem,......not dsl.........i don't know how to mess around with the options and ports and settings for this stuff so i leave it all at default......

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Have you never heard of sentences and paragraphs???

The oval shaped thing is more than likely a USB Modem so you probably don’t have a router. Torrents sometimes start off slow if you lave them 15-20 minutes then you normally see a big increase.

Your download rate is proportional to your Upload so let it download at a slow speed for a while until you see it uploading at a decent speed and by then your download rate should begin to increase.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Originally posted by mikenmike0001@13 December 2003 - 17:28
    well.all i know is that i always download one at a time....and i use the shadow client for the bitorrent....uh....about the router thing......i don't know what the fuck that is, but i guess i have it......well.....if that's what you call the dsl thingy that you plug into your computer......it's like oval shaped and sits next to my case......so i don't know...........i have the sbc yahoo dsl that i usually can download at an average of 145kb / sec.....the seeds for the files i search for are always high, so i figure since more people, then better connections and more added up speed, but that doesn't seem to happen to me.......i only get like 4-6 kb/sec on teh status screen.......and that's horrible.......that's like the speed that you'd average from a 56k modem,......not dsl.........i don't know how to mess around with the options and ports and settings for this stuff so i leave it all at default......
    Are you getting a green light on shadows, are you limiting the upload because if you let bittorent flood the upload then download will be slower.

Take alook at the oval thing whats the brand model number ect, do you have windows firewall running?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    yeah...it's the thing with the 3 lights.....uh....brand number.......let's see....HomePortal 1000S

Connection Speed

• Incoming: 1536 kbps

• Outgoing: 160 kbps

so yeah.....uh...that's pretty much it, and yeah......i set the uploader to 50 kbs.....uh....firewall, i don't know what or how to tell if i have one....oh yeah.and i have let the damn thing go for like half an hour once..and when i came back.......it was the same numbers............it's horrible man, people are telling me to use bitorrent now and well....compared to kazaa.....bitorrent gets teh links first, without fakes like kazaa...but i get a better download rate than bitorrent.......so i dont' know........hopefully i can get help getting this shit configured correctly for dsl transfer rates.....

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Originally posted by mikenmike0001@14 December 2003 - 02:27
    yeah...it's the thing with the 3 lights.....uh....brand number.......let's see....HomePortal 1000S

Connection Speed

• Incoming: 1536 kbps

• Outgoing: 160 kbps

so yeah.....uh...that's pretty much it, and yeah......i set the uploader to 50 kbs.....uh....firewall, i don't know what or how to tell if i have one....oh yeah.and i have let the damn thing go for like half an hour once..and when i came back.......it was the same numbers............it's horrible man, people are telling me to use bitorrent now and well....compared to kazaa.....bitorrent gets teh links first, without fakes like kazaa...but i get a better download rate than bitorrent.......so i dont' know........hopefully i can get help getting this shit configured correctly for dsl transfer rates.....
    I had this router its great when it works but often loses connection and takes like 5min to go from off to sync up all green. I am now using speedstream 5100 and it takes only 30sec to sync up from powerup. 2wire imo blows the only good thing is that it display line states which IMO is next to useless
    Mine got bad that it lost sync altogether because I updated it with new firmware.
    Its expensive and even before that i kept losing connection at least twice a day with new modem, i have only lost connection one or twice in a month! for only a few min
    Here is the kicker, i had it for 3months and I was still able to return it for full refund... hopefully not everyone has this problem like me, maybe just a few bad apples in their product?
    anyway, 2wire is firewalled, you need to configure port for bittorent to function properly. you can set it to DHCP but then your transfer on your LAN will be reduced to only 5mbps. SAD right? a serious flaw in the product. plus they are issued by IP numbers, and not by their name like comp1 and comp2.
    its not hard just a bit tricky and time consuming.

if you want to download multiple files say 3 bt's
    open port 6881,6882,6883
    make sure you set for both TCP and UDP as they will not connect properly if only one is set say only tcp or udp.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    okay.you just said a bunch of stuff that i don't know the what hell you're talking about,....i'm not very computer literate as you can see.....