Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lurkers, post up

Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    I got the computer sitting behind an APC UPS that should have protected it from any power surge. All the other equipment that's hooked up to it (Monitor, etc) still work. Not sure what happened here...?
    Hmm... back in '95 I acquired a used "conditioner" UPS (Old NASA shit.)... weighed almost a ton! (batteries?) Had 4 home built PC's... 2 were later confiscated for ALLEGED cracking activities. At that point I was going to rubbish bin that heavy dinosaur.

After discussing this with my Onan / Cummings generator man.... (I used a 4 cylinder Onan / With automatic transfer power box, all 500g tank propane driven.) He said, "Keep using it, as it was a fluctuating cycles that caused all the mischief with PC's." (I had it set to come to life 2ns after power loss for the farm.)

Irregular cycles / spikes of power... on/off/on medium/off... that the APC UPS probably didn't handle fast enough may have caused the issue with you're power supply.

That weird heavy 1/2 a end table sized hunk of junk probably saved my bacon a few times back then.

Just a theory mind you.

FYI... I have a Dell Win7 (server/workstation) and Dell Win10 (mini-tower). One I modded (yes, it can be done slightly)... if you know what your doing.

Even took some photos of it when I started... BUT, after seeing anon's mod photos... I just hung my head in shame...
    Last edited by Stehle; 02-25-2021 at 07:01 PM. Reason: 'nuff said.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Good news! Got a call this afternoon that my system was ready to be picked up.

Bad news! Get a flashing aber power light rather than a solid green, leading me to believe that the replacement power supply is a tad undersized and does not supply enough power to each component. Idiots.

Back to Square One. Sorry, PMG7.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    FST Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    Good news! Got a call this afternoon that my system was ready to be picked up.

Bad news! Get a flashing aber power light rather than a solid green, leading me to believe that the replacement power supply is a tad undersized and does not supply enough power to each component. Idiots.

Back to Square One. Sorry, PMG7.

Not to worry Caballero, I'll fill in till your back.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Stehle View Post
    FYI... I have a Dell Win7 (server/workstation) and Dell Win10 (mini-tower). One I modded (yes, it can be done slightly)... if you know what your doing.

Even took some photos of it when I started... BUT, after seeing anon's mod photos... I just hung my head in shame...
    You must be confusing me with Skizo, he's the one who posted those awesome builds I don't even own a desktop tower nowadays, but the ones I did have in the past were nothing special.

I'm confident I could make the Guiness Record for longest continuous ownership and usage of a single computer, though: 2004-2019.
    Last edited by anon; 02-26-2021 at 07:19 AM.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    ...after seeing anon's mod photos... I just hung my head in shame...
    You must be confusing me with Skizo, he's the one who posted those awesome builds I don't even own a desktop tower nowadays, but the ones I did have in the past were nothing special.

I'm confident I could make the Guiness Record for longest continuous ownership and usage of a single computer, though: 2004-2019.
    Indeed... I may have the poster back then askew... (memory is for shite this past year), so I may be mistaken... all that stands out now is a... cat sitting on a case or desk around that time.

Anyways... kudos to whomever built it and posts I saw.

Haven't built one from scratch since '06... had to have a bit of lot help on that one. It finally bit the dust in '19 ...slow as it was. {sigh}
    Last edited by Stehle; 02-26-2021 at 05:53 PM. Reason: "No More For Me... R.I.P."

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Indeed... I may have the poster back then askew... (memory is for shite this past year), so I may be mistaken...
    Well, you know what they say -- memory is the second thing to go.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Indeed... I may have the poster back then askew... (memory is for shite this past year), so I may be mistaken... all that stands out now is a... cat sitting on a case or desk around that time.
    4B77EFAD-AAE3-4C2A-9913-EEECA6B2FB66.jpg

In all fairness, that was the highlight of the picture... as cats usually are.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Thanks, anon... yes, it's the cat i remembered the most so it seems.

I adopted... (Well, one of my renters left it.) ....a fixed Tabby with 6 claws on each paw... he answers to the name of... "Shithead" ...and the ex has been feeding him about 5 years or so.

Drools consistently when i pet him... with the pandemic... well our relationship has changed In the past year.

One I used to have looked quite similar to the one depicted in the photo. {sigh}
    Last edited by Stehle; 02-27-2021 at 03:30 PM. Reason: When he arrived, my other 2 fixed females disapeared shortly after.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    I adopted... (Well, one of my renters left it.) ....a fixed Tabby with 6 claws on each paw... he answers to the name of... "Shithead" ...and the ex has been feeding him about 5 years or so.

Drools consistently when i pet him...
    That's so cute I have thought about adopting a cat myself, but I never had pets growing up, so I wouldn't know where to start... and an animal isn't a toy, it's a living being that will suffer if/when I show incompetence.

Which is also the same reason I fear for the well-being of pets that were adopted last year, at the height of lockdown measures around the world. Yes, a lot of shelters were emptied, but what will happen after things settle down and people return to their former everyday routines?

10. Lounge   -   #40
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast