Thread: An unfortunate departure resulting in politics

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    We're suppose to get more snow. Thank God I'm not Ted Cruz's dog.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    We're suppose to get more snow. Thank God I'm not Ted Cruz's dog.
    Cruz is no Mitt Romney.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Two things. Sad to hear about Bob Dole. I always liked Bob Dole. Not that I followed politics so much back then.
    Also and I'm being entirely serious, j2k4 could you give me a brief idea of what you believe true "conservativism" encapsulates? I don't want to kneejerk side against something based on little more than what it's been labelled and my ignorance.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    There's talk of using disaster relief funds to help pay off Texans exorbitant utility bills incurred during that period. The utility companies should be made to forgive a lot of this because the federal money to go to far better use than essentially rewarding companies for price gouging.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 02-22-2021 at 02:10 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Two things. Sad to hear about Bob Dole. I always liked Bob Dole. Not that I followed politics so much back then.
    Also and I'm being entirely serious, j2k4 could you give me a brief idea of what you believe true "conservativism" encapsulates? I don't want to kneejerk side against something based on little more than what it's been labelled and my ignorance.

There is no "brief idea", nor can Conservatism be "encapsulated".

con·ser·va·tism

/kənˈsərvədizəm/

noun

commitment to traditional values and ideas with opposition to change or innovation.
      "proponents of theological conservatism"
      the holding of political views that favor free enterprise, private ownership, and socially traditional ideas.
      "a party that espoused conservatism"

This is a reasonable start, except 1, the opposition to change or innovation.

We are not opposed, we just prefer to see reasonable proofs before we leap.

I would say further that we don't like change for it's own sake.

Further-further, I consider myself a pure-hearted conservative who has oft-noted others' tendency to leap to conclusions about me and my beliefs.

I think it's always better to ask me, though I don't find myself tempted to extend the same courtesy to domestic Liberals.

You're a Canuck, so if you ask, I will gladly reply, with the hope we both learn something.

There's talk of using disaster relief funds to help pay off Texans exorbitant utility bills incurred during that period. The utility companies should be made to forgive a lot of this because the federal money to go to far better use than essentially rewarding companies for price gouging.
    I agree, I think it's a gouge.

I am rarely inclined to side with utilities.

There are a metric shit-ton of teaching moments hereabout, all of them going to waste.

Pity.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Let us continue...

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    I've been re-watching The Newsroom. Over a decade passes and nothing changes. Twas ever thus ...