Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnet, Subwoffer, Pc

atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker+4 December 2003 - 13:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AndrewBarker @ 4 December 2003 - 13:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bob_the_alien@4 December 2003 - 10:20
    Also, but then I began to think about it, and Magnets do not go so well with any type of magnetic storage.&nbsp; And a Subwoofer has a huge magnet on the back of it.
    how you going to get your floppy disk near without it being erased [/b][/quote]
    while were at it, how is ur PC going to work with that huge magnet right next to it?

i mean, a magnet doesnt just ruin magnetic storage u kno?

it can disrupt currents too&#33;

it can corrupt ur data in the ram for example

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Don&#39;t build a PC anywhere near an unshielded subwoofer.

I have had a problem with the magnet from the subwoofer in my car. I have discovered that if I put a computer on the back seat or in the trunk of my car then I loose data from it (2 big magnets right behind the seatback).

If I want to bring a PC with me I now have to put it in the front seat to avoid problems.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@5 December 2003 - 05:34

I have had a problem with the magnet from the subwoofer in my car. I have discovered that if I put a computer on the back seat or in the trunk of my car then I loose data from it (2 big magnets right behind the seatback).

The same thing happened to me a year ago.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Post PICTURES Of the thing...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    It stands to reason why you shouldn&#39;t put an unshielded subwoofer near a PC, monitor or TV. The magnetic interference can and will do irreparable damage.
    (don&#39;t know about the affects of vibrations though)

That being said, just put it somewhere else in the room away from your system. Low frequencies are non-directional & it typically won&#39;t matter. Your midrange and higher frequencies are directional and more critical to stereo separation.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by harrycary@5 December 2003 - 08:32

Low frequencies are non-directional & it typically won&#39;t matter.
    My subwoofer is unidirectional and totally shielded. But I isolate the unit away from appliances.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    My subwoofer is unidirectional and totally shielded. But I isolate the unit away from appliances.
    Unidirectional would mean that the sound from your subwoofer would only go in one direction.

Low frequencies, no matter the source(speakers, cars, etc), go in all directions.

Walk behind a speaker playing loud music. The audio you miss most
    will be the higher frequencies(reflected sound not withstanding). The low frequencies will be relatively louder.

peace

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by clocker@4 December 2003 - 08:34
    Is the concept here that both the PC and the subwoofer would be functional?
    Or is this a PC disguised as a speaker enclosure?
    Well, I idea to start was to make both be functional, but now after hearing everyone&#39;s comments on the matter.
    I&#39;ve had to rethink the idea. So now just to disguise the pc as the sub.

So I think what I&#39;ll end up doing is removing the sub completely and just using the box. Only problem I have now is after I remove the sub, how am I going to get the hole filled with something else, other than a sub, which still looks like a sub.
    Ahh, well, it shouldn&#39;t be too hard, I guess I could just take the sub apart.
    It&#39;s not a great sub anyway, only 200watts, that’s why it&#39;s just setting around, I put a 400 watt in my car and removed this one. I bought a trunk mounting system that matched my trunk interior, so I now have no need for this box or the sub.

I still think this will make a kick ass pc, and this way no one will no it&#39;s a pc either.

You know though, something just occurred to me, I could buy LCD, and install it behind the plexi glass in the front of the box, and have the pc in the back, that way I could use the system as like a LAN party machine.
    Although, I would probably need to cut the plexi-glass and make it so I could open it while playing, and have it closed when it&#39;s not in use. (Just as a way to keep the LCD safe.)

Hmmm, the more I think, the more intriguing this project becomes, and the more interested in it I become.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Keep us posted.

Pictures would be nice.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    I keep everyone posted, you guys will have to wait till my Digital camera gets back from the shop though for the pictures, I dropped it the other day, and now it doesn&#39;t work; the shutter and flash are no longer clicking at the same time.

Olympus said it will be 10 to 15 days before they send it back, which is way to damn long, but at least it will be back by Christmas.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12