Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer Scam

Internet Explorer" scam "sponsored by Bill Gates"
    BEWARE ONE OF the latest scams popping into inboxes everywhere, which suggests you've won a prize in an Internet Explorer lottery.
    You're told to keep the details of your win confidential due to a "mix up of some numbers and names", and just to make sure you contact the agent first to sort out the $185,450 – in our case – that we've won.

We reprint the emal below. As you can see, the "organisers" claim it's sponsored by Bill Gates of Microsoft, an absolutely preposterous claim.

We rang Raul Fernandez at the office, based in Madrid, Spain. Unfortunately, he was "not available", but we were put in touch with someone else who asked us for our batch number. He said that final verification was needed before we could "win" the sum we'd "won".

We were asked to give the organisation a fax number, and then to confirm we were the authorised winner by faxing back more information.

So far, no fax. We'll let you know if it ever arrives. µ

Dear Internet Explorer User,

We are pleased to inform you of the result of the Lottery Winners International programs for Internet Explorer Users Worldwide held on the 1/12/2003. Your e-mail address attached to ticket number 275114656588-6410 with serial number 5798-510, batch number 466270566, and lottery ref number 6676629735 and drew lucky numbers 8-60-88-23-66-45 which consequently won in the 2nd category, you have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay out of US$185, 450.00 (One Hundred and Eighty Five Thousand Four Hundred and Fifty United States Dollars Only).

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Due to mix up of some numbers and names, we ask that you keep your winning information confidential until your claims have been processed and your money remitted to you. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some participants. All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from over 2,000,000 company and 30,000,000 individual email addresses and names from all over the world.

This promotional program takes place every three-year period. This lottery was promoted and sponsored by Bill Gates, President of Microsoft, the world's largest software company, we hope with part of your winning you will take part in our next year US$5Million international lottery. To file for your claim, please contact our fiducial agent in Madrid, Spain below;

Mr. Raul Fernandez
    Santalucia Seguro & Oficina
    Calle Francisco Pacheco 18, 28009
    Madrid, Spain
    Tel:0034-626-216-607
    Fax:0034-645-032-746
    E-mail:[email protected]

Remember, all winning must be claimed not later than 8th of December 2003. After this date all unclaimed funds will be included in the next stake. Please note in order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications please remember to quote your reference number and batch numbers in all correspondence. Furthermore, should there be any change of address do inform our agent as soon as possible. Congratulations once more from our members of staff and thank you for being part of our promotional program.

Note: Anybody under the age of 18 is automatically disqualified.

Yours sincerely,

Elizabeth Liejon
    Lottery Co-ordinator

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13035

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    thanks, once again sh

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I have the latest version, just upgraded a week ago but never experienced yet.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Just don't open emails from people you don't know, problem solved.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984@4 December 2003 - 23:19
    Just don't open emails from people you don't know, problem solved.
    LOL
    Priceless.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Maybe his email provider does it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Is anyone actually stupid enough to fall for something like this? I could tell it was a scam just by reading the first line. MS is not in the habit of giving people money for no reason, they'd much rather take it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    Dear Internet Explorer User
    funny

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    i'm at a loss....how exactly are they "scamming"? what is is that are getting from you? if the answer is obvious, well i have the flu, and have the tendency to not think real clearly today.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@4 December 2003 - 19:29
    i'm at a loss....how exactly are they "scamming"? what is is that are getting from you? if the answer is obvious, well i have the flu, and have the tendency to not think real clearly today.
    That's a good question. Most likely when you contact their "fiducial agent in Madrid" (even though MS is based in Washington), they probably ask for your Social Security # and/or a Credit Card # to verify your identity. I don't know who annoys me more - the scumbags who pull this kind of shit, or the dumb, greedy morons who fall for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast