Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Again?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    In my neverending ( and quite exhausting, I might add) efforts to keep you all amused, I present yet another mod...

In my thread about building a custom case ( more on that later), Bob the Alien made the casual comment about cooling the backside of the motherboard. I didn't pay much attention at the time, but a second read of the thread brought that to my attention and I decided to monitor some temps back there.
    Not surprisingly, the temp on the motherboard plate, directly under the CPU and chipset was noticably warmer than other areas.
    Not hot, mind you, noplace in this case is really hot anymore, but warmer.

As it happens I also had a spare fan laying around.
    Also, I was planning on stripping down my PC in order to measure some components so I could begin laying out a case design.
    Furthermore, while the case was bare I wanted to add a insulator plate beneath the PSU to shield it from the CPU HSF.
    So, here we have the motherboard mounting wall with a second fan mounted, blowing on the backside of the CPU socket area.
    The fan on the lower left is dedicated to the HDD...

From the other side ( where all the fun stuff is) you can see that I incorporated a exhaust fan into the isolator plate to help evacuate all the air and heat in this area...

As usual, the two fans on the case backwall are blowing in and the new fan is sucking out ( and up).
    Also visible is the new fan I added to the bottom heatsink on my video card.
    This brings the total number of fans in the case to nine.
    A bit excessive perhaps, but not really very noisy at all and very effective (so far).

As I sit here now, after one hour uptime, the CPU is reading 32 degC.

I would love to run some burnin tests and post the results, but my "evaluation period" has expired and I've been unable to come up with the acceptable solution. I need to solve this minor problem as all my previous results were derived using that program and a direct comparison is impossible without it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    cant you just STOP modding ur pc for once? its inside has become quite uglu w/those orange fans

safety issue: what if someone started dropping mini carrots into the top hole of your case? the fan would shred them and the shreds would burn and melt your mobo and other pcb based stuff

somewhat of an exaggeration but meh

still, cover the top vent

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    All of the fans, and the top vents also, are screened.

I'm not in the habit of tossing around minicarrots either.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    In lieu of running the Burnin test, I have been periodically plugging/unplugging the new motherboard fan.

The CPU temps rise and fall quite fast and dramatically in response.

This may actually work.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    un-install the program you were using, run ashampoo winoptimizer to clean out all the left overs from the program, then re-install it. it should re-set your eval period, or you could try manually searching the registry for the entry that tells the program the eval time is up.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Clocker, check your PM inbox.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Atividia you have no right to tell him what to do, board noob. I like his case AND his orange fans. Loooks very nice...I also like how it is all angled toward the CPU.

Clocker- is that heatsink and fan good? Does it keep you CPU very cool?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    As it happens I also had a spare fan laying around

BWT clocker, you dont mind if i use some of your ideas for cooling ??

I never in a million years would have thought to cool the motherboard from behind

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    you ALWAYS have to think of putting something from behind, you see?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Bigdawg,

I cannot in good conscience recommend the Zalman HS.
    It is OK, but not significantly better than the stock AMD HS with a 80mm fan mounted.
    For $50 I would have hoped for more.

Neat,
    Of course you may "steal" any and all of the ideas that you find useful. That is why I post them and how could I stop you anyway?
    You will need a very low profile fan to fit between your mounting wall and exterior case panel. You will also have to cut a hole in your side panel and provide for some sort of dust filtering/screening. I found it easiest to use the screen meant for a 120mm fan as that gives you some wiggle room in case you don't quite line everything up perfectly. Also the screws that hold the screen won't hit the fan.
    BE VERY SURE you want to do this before cutting up your sidepanel. I'm running with a piece of cardboard taped over my side right now just to verify that it really works. The hole in the motherboard wall I don't care about, it can't be seen, but I want to really be sure before I hack away at my side panel...

atividia,
    Orange wouldn't have been my first ( or even 10th) color choice either, but my case came with 7 of 'em , they work and they are quiet. If I ever actually finalize my layout maybe I can cadge some LED fans from Abu...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast