Thread: Bit Torrent Questions

Poster
    1. Will using bit torrent to download games mess up my new pc? Or corrupt anything, you know with all them programs u have to download to burn the cds too. I dont want to mes sup my new pc?
    2. I have windows xp and have 2 user accounts. If I start a download with bit torrent and then mY dad logs onto his account, will my bit torrent download still be going or stop? And will it be slow while he is on his account name on the internet? He'll get mad at me cuz he wont know I'm downloading and think I screwed up the pc.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    1. No, Bittorrent shouldn't harm your PC at all.

2. As long as you don't log-off from your account (just select 'Switch User&#39, you're download will continue. Do you have broadband or 56k? If you're using a dial-up modem he'll probably notice a slowdown. If it's highspeed cable or DSL, and you're only downloading one file at a time, he shouldn't notice. If he does, you can always stop your download and resume it later where you left off.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster
    Yes thats good. Cuz I had bit torrent on my old pc and it got real slow somehow and mest up, and I was starting to think that downloading games was the problem but I think it was already slow before that and it just prolly got worse. I just dont want this pc to get reall screwed like the other! Its the only good full packed pc that I have ever had and my dad isnt buying anymore.

Right now I dont plan on downloading anything cuz of my 56k. But when i get cable if I do (which I really hope I do cuz I had cable before and now on dialup! cant stand it). I will download some games, if there are any good ones by then. What happens if he is on his account name while on my account i have a download going and he turns off the pc. Will the files get deleted or corupt?

Also what is the best burning program to burn the games you download on cd's with no error and what type cd-r's are required? I have sony cd-r's but they say audio on them. Can I still burn games to them the same way I put files on one of them? Or do I need other cd-r's. Sorry for all the questions I just wanted to get this out of the way before I get cable and get downloading. I just want to know the safest way of doing this so the pc wont get messed up cuz its not only mine.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    If he tries to shut down while your account is still active, he'll get a warning that another user is still logged on, and that shutting down can cause that user (you) to lose data. If he ignores it and shuts down anyway, your download will be interrupted. I'm not sure if it will cause any harm to the file, but I don't think so. Even if it does, if you're using cable you can just restart the download again. Depending on how many seeds there are, a full game can take anywhere from about 2 hours to a couple of days. No big deal.

I always use Nero to burn software, movies, and music. I'm no expert on CD-R's, but I can tell you they're not all the same. I always thought they were until I got some really cheap 'no name' brand. First of all they'll only burn at 32x speed, even though my burner goes up to 52x. But even worse, while they're OK for music and data, I discovered that if I burn a VCD (movie) on one of those discs, my DVD player won't play it. They're also noticeably thinner and flimsier than all the other CD-R's I've had. Now I only use those for things that aren't too important. If you shop around you can find cheap CD-R's (sometimes even FREE after rebates) at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, and Staples - which is good because you are going to make a few coasters - everybody does. Basically all I can tell you is you might have to experiment a little to find out what works for you. The most important thing is not to delete the source files from your hard drive until you're sure the CD works right.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    I know my dad just ignores that windows warning and will shut down anyway. But thats ok, he doesnt turn off the pc till night which is when I will get on and close my download to continue the next morning.

I know the cheap cd-r's you are talking about! When you pick them up, they like flake things off lol! And both sides are the same. I used to use verbatim ones and I think they are good. But I heard that some cd's that you burn games to, are not good and you will get a cyclic redundancy check error during installation. Could this be true? Cuz I got that error about max payne 2 when my cuzin gave me the cd's and he said it worked fine for him. But this could be because of scratches on it right? Or do games that you burn on a cd, after a while go corrupt on their own? I duno if that is possible?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Originally posted by Salim@5 December 2003 - 15:12
    both sides are the same.
    Yep, that's them. If you don't mark the top right away, you can't tell which way to put it in your drive. But like I said, I haven't had any problems using them for games. But then I usually just burn them and install from the CD, then get a No CD crack so I don't ever have to use it again. I suppose if you use it a few times it could get damaged from handling it.

BTW, Memorex is a good brand too.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    if he does ignore the warning and shut down the pc, BT has inbuilt checking, which finds corrupt parts of the file, and redownloads-so its better than kl etc in this sense.
    <insert signature here>

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster
    Yes I understand. I duno why but maybe affter using a game on someones machine will mess it up? Cuz I had duke nukem on my pc working fine and I took it to his house and it wouldnt install. But I guess games do this very rarely. Suppose I took max payne 2 back to his house and try to install it on his pc, you think it will install correctly withough the command transfer error?