Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 250MBps UL good enough for maintaining ratio?

FreeCandy's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    I noticed that I rarely use more then 10% of that capacity even tho I am seeding a lot of popular torrents.
    And I have feeling that seedboxe's located in Netherland/Germany took a lot of bandwidth.
    Is that even possible? Do seedboxes have priority over home speed connections due to usually better ping or whatsoever?

Now my ratio in HDBits droped bellow 1, and I am concerned about "fair share" rule on my 11 yrs old account there.
    For my giveaways on FST enter "SrchCde 353616828" in search (without quotes).

Everyday is day for giving

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Just seed forever and you’ll do well

Download free leech stuff and upload missing resolutions

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeCandy View Post
    I noticed that I rarely use more then 10% of that capacity even tho I am seeding a lot of popular torrents.
    And I have feeling that seedboxe's located in Netherland/Germany took a lot of bandwidth.
    Is that even possible? Do seedboxes have priority over home speed connections due to usually better ping or whatsoever?

Now my ratio in HDBits droped bellow 1, and I am concerned about "fair share" rule on my 11 yrs old account there.
    Torrent clients prioritize speed so whatever source in a swarm is the fastest, it's going to draw from that. Anon probably knows a lot about this and I may be misstating but I don't think there is anything that you can do about it except wait for the seedboxes to move on to the next latest thing.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post

Torrent clients prioritize speed so whatever source in a swarm is the fastest, it's going to draw from that. Anon probably knows a lot about this and I may be misstating but I don't think there is anything that you can do about it except wait for the seedboxes to move on to the next latest thing.
    Well if that is true, then its very sad actually to have 90% of resources free but can't use them because seedboxes have priority...

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Torrent clients prioritize speed so whatever source in a swarm is the fastest, it's going to draw from that.
    Not exactly. BitTorrent does have a mechanism to reward higher amounts of upload - which a faster upload speed would obviously correlate to - with higher amounts of download, but this only applies on connections between leechers, rarely seen on private trackers where overseeding is the norm. And some clients (notably Deluge) are also more aggressive with their connection handling, which can lead to higher speeds on both directions. However, the biggest advantage comes not from the protocol itself, but at the networking level, and from the simple fact a gigabit seedbox is a gigabit seedbox and will easily max out the download of anyone else who connects to it. In other words, it's the same "priority" a street gives to someone driving a last-gen Ferrari vs. a skateboard

Agree completely with the rest, however. If you're dealing with seedbox douchebaggery, the only solutions are either getting a box yourself, there becoming part of the problem, or permaseeding and playing a long-term game... well, uploading torrents and filling requests may also help, depending on the tracker. Or you could switch to one that's easier to seed on; my client stats say I have uploaded 18.5 TB, and a large chunk from that comes from when my upload speed was <1% of the one in the thread title.

By the way, FreeCandy, are you sure about the countries you mentioned? Because after the United States, Germany has to be the second-worst country in existence to host anything related to filesharing, let alone a seedbox
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Weeds, thy name is anon.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Torrent clients prioritize speed so whatever source in a swarm is the fastest, it's going to draw from that.
    Not exactly. BitTorrent does have a mechanism to reward higher amounts of upload - which a faster upload speed would obviously correlate to - with higher amounts of download, but this only applies on connections between leechers, rarely seen on private trackers where overseeding is the norm. And some clients (notably Deluge) are also more aggressive with their connection handling, which can lead to higher speeds on both directions. However, the biggest advantage comes not from the protocol itself, but at the networking level, and from the simple fact a gigabit seedbox is a gigabit seedbox and will easily max out the download of anyone else who connects to it. In other words, it's the same "priority" a street gives to someone driving a last-gen Ferrari vs. a skateboard

Agree completely with the rest, however. If you're dealing with seedbox douchebaggery, the only solutions are either getting a box yourself, there becoming part of the problem, or permaseeding and playing a long-term game... well, uploading torrents and filling requests may also help, depending on the tracker. Or you could switch to one that's easier to seed on; my client stats say I have uploaded 18.5 TB, and a large chunk from that comes from when my upload speed was <1% of the one in the thread title.

By the way, FreeCandy, are you sure about the countries you mentioned? Because after the United States, Germany has to be the second-worst country in existence to host anything related to filesharing, let alone a seedbox
    I am not sure about Germany, it was more of an example that true fact...

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Weeds, thy name is anon.
    You never know, it might have counted as 10 minutes of community service.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    My upload speed is a lot more pathetic than yours and I survive pretty well. All that matters is that you seed stuff for as long as possible. I've ended up seeding some stuff that's got barely other seeders and when they get snatched I see a good boost in ratio. Long term seeding will always show good results.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    I am not sure about Germany, it was more of an example that true fact...
    Well, apparently Hetzner has servers on Germany and Finland, and a lot of people choose the former for their seedboxes

Quote Originally Posted by ripcord View Post
    All that matters is that you seed stuff for as long as possible. I've ended up seeding some stuff that's got barely other seeders and when they get snatched I see a good boost in ratio. Long term seeding will always show good results.
    Indeed, the trick is doing this long after everyone else has forgotten them.

Time Elapsed: 2y 5w
    Downloaded: 8.00 GB
    Download Speed: 0.0 kB/s (avg. 61.5 kB/s)
    Down Limit: ∞
    Remaining: ∞
    Uploaded: 906 GB
    Upload Speed: 0.0 kB/s (avg. 14.3 kB/s)
    Up Limit: ∞
    Wasted: 1.21 MB (0 hashfails)
    Seeds: 0 of 1 connected (0 in swarm)
    Peers: 0 of 0 connected (0 in swarm)
    Share Ratio: 113.197

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast