Thread: Who's The Criminal Again?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/34191.html

MPAA, RIAA seek permanent antitrust exemption
    By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco
    Posted: 26/11/2003 at 01:09 GMT

Just weeks after an antitrust suit was filed against the RIAA by webcasters, the music labels' lobby group, is, along with Hollywood, seeking a permanent exemption from similar litigation. The proposal seeks to extend the exemption to anything covering mechanical copyright: a sweeping extension of the copyright cartel's immunity.

It's buried away in a piece of legislation co-sponsored by Senator Orrin Hatch called the EnFORCE Act, or the Enhancing Federal Obscenity Reporting and Copyright Enforcement Act of 2003. With 12-year old girls being threatened with $150,000 fines, and the computer industry embracing social engineering technologies such as locked music, you would think the last thing that the nation's cultural heritage needs is stricter enforcement by the copyright cartel.

Hatch said the big studios and major record labels need the exemption because of "market realities...The bill authorizes appropriations to ensure that all Department of Justice units that investigate intellectual property crimes have the support of at least one agent specifically trained in the investigation of such crimes," he said last week.
    ................ continues in article

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah.... Uhmm... can we say, power hungry?

Anyways, hi, I'm someonesomewhere, I'm new here. Nice to meet fellow anti-RIAA'ers. No matter what they say, yes, they are evil (to a debateable point) and yes, they are a monopoly (not a debateable point. see above proof.) I'd just like to say, I think I'll start using Kazaa more.

*Amend* Notice that It&#39;s not from CNN. Funny how this article wasn&#39;t on their website. <insert fake laugh>

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Double Agent
    heh we&#39;ve already begun boycotting the RIAA/MPAA, just ask anybody here when was the last time they&#39;ve even bought a cd....

i centainly can&#39;t remember...

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Just have to say this, Love your sig. There is no spoon&#33;&#33;&#33; XD

I can remember the last time I bought a CD. Of course, it was from out of the country... from a publisher that the RIAA&#39;s never heard of... for a song that they&#39;ll bring over here because it&#39;s actually good... uhmm... yeah....

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@5 December 2003 - 09:10
    ...just ask anybody here when was the last time they&#39;ve even bought a cd....

i centainly can&#39;t remember...
    I buy &#39;em all the time. Where do you think all this cool music comes from?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    well when they give you a price of Cd&#39;s for &#036;10 for a single and &#036;30 for a new album (&#036;20 for pop crap) it&#39;s a wonder why they haven&#39;t realized why people like myself haven&#39;t bought a CD in 2 years.

same goes for DVDs &#036;40 for a DVD is over the top yes you can get the odd cheap one for &#036;25 or even &#036;15 if your very lucky but there insane prices&#33;

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by Adster@5 December 2003 - 11:14
    well when they give you a price of Cd&#39;s for &#036;10 for a single and &#036;30 for a new album (&#036;20 for pop crap) it&#39;s a wonder why they haven&#39;t realized why people like myself haven&#39;t bought a CD in 2 years.

same goes for DVDs &#036;40 for a DVD is over the top yes you can get the odd cheap one for &#036;25 or even &#036;15 if your very lucky but there insane prices&#33;
    good point i have&#39;nt bought a cd in about 2yrs too,only mix cd by dj artist

i do support the dj world cuz there small time

but i havent bought a dvd since uuuum what was the last 1&#33;
    I think( time Machine) was the last , but there not getting a penny from me anymore not to the prices go back to what i use to pay for tapes

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Adster@5 December 2003 - 15:14

You know when the DVD&#39;S are as high or higher than DVD PLAYERS, something is way wrong. You can get dvd players a decent 1 for 45-50 bucks. EL-cheapos for less than 40.
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Sid Hartha+5 December 2003 - 15:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sid Hartha @ 5 December 2003 - 15:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-james_bond_rulez@5 December 2003 - 09:10
    ...just ask anybody here when was the last time they&#39;ve even bought a cd....

i centainly can&#39;t remember... &nbsp; &nbsp;
    I buy &#39;em all the time. Where do you think all this cool music comes from? [/b][/quote]
    he&#39;s the RIAA/MPAA&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

kill him&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+5 December 2003 - 15:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez &#064; 5 December 2003 - 15:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Sid Hartha@5 December 2003 - 15:05
    <!--QuoteBegin-james_bond_rulez
    @5 December 2003 - 09:10

i centainly can&#39;t remember... &nbsp; &nbsp;

I buy &#39;em all the time. Where do you think all this cool music comes from?
    he&#39;s the RIAA/MPAA&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

kill him&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    &#092;[/b][/quote]
    Gee, that&#39;s a bit harsh. Nice way to avoid the question, I guess.

a few observations:

1. If you can&#39;t remember the last time you bought a CD, that means the files you&#39;re sharing (if you are sharing) are just re-circulated files that everybody has already. You&#39;re really not contributing anything unique, are you?

2. People like me - who buy music and upload it - are the reason why there are files to share in the first place. You&#39;re welcome.

a few suggestions:

1. Stop being ignorant. Bragging about being a leech is not impressing anybody on this board.

2. Buy some CDs this week (something non-RIAA affiliated, if you prefer) and upload them. Contribute something. Stop being a drain on P2P.

kthnx