Thread: Ram Pc 2100

Poster
    i have 2 slots open for ddr pc 2100 .... 256 in 1 and none in the other ... i plan on buying a 512 to go in the next slot ... my friend says that the mb have to match ex 256 and 256 .....in order for it to work properly is he right?
    sig removed by Sara...much too big, please read the rules and could you activate your pm's too

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    nope, they only have to match for dual channel DDr which i wouldnt have thought u would have anyway, go with the 512.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    the ram sticks do not have to be the same size. they should be the same speed, though.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    dam it, i been trying to tell him that but he swears up and down they have to match , ive been trying to tell hes thinking of ram bus
    sig removed by Sara...much too big, please read the rules and could you activate your pm's too

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    just use two diff. size sticks and show it to him and he'll stop in his tracks

btw, how old is this guy anyway?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by Livy@5 December 2003 - 06:25
    nope, they only have to match for dual channel DDr which i wouldnt have thought u would have anyway, go with the 512.
    I've always thought that about dual channel too, but now, I'm not entirely sure its true, recently I bought a 256 memory stick for a friends pc, I was building for him. And I got the memory in before the rest of the pc. So I decided to test it,
    I just popped it in my system, I have a dual channel board, and when I booted up my pc, it said 400 dual channel in the memory test.

I had a 512 mb stick already in my system. and the system seemed to run fine no problems.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    dual channel boards dotn always run in dual channel mode though do they?

it may not have been running in dual channel mode if they are different sizes,

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by Livy@5 December 2003 - 07:56
    dual channel boards dotn always run in dual channel mode though do they?

it may not have been running in dual channel mode if they are different sizes,
    Well, that was just the thing, it had never said dual channel before until I added the new mem stick, so it just had me wondering.

You may be right though, it may have just said dual channel, since it now had 2 mem sticks installed.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"