Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup

I have to reformat my hard drive because my intellimouse from hp jumps all over the screen,and they had me try several different things and nothing fixes it.I wante to know if i could make a partion and save my movies and music and other programs to there and then reformat or do i have to save them on cd's.I have over 600 music files and 48 movies.Thats turns into alot of cd's unless i compress them to rar or something.Any ideas from anyone besides that ill never buy another hp product again.Basically i have 32 gigs to backup.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    You can create a logical partition, which in effect gives you another drive. Put all your stuff on that.

When you reformat your drive make sure you choose the right one.
    Robert00000

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Currently my hard drive is partioned with my os on the c and my system back up on d.This is how i bought the computer.Hp just sent me back up disks which there are 7.I reformatted before hp sent me back up disks.They want me to use the back up disks they sent me,So should i delete the partion and make a new 1 or can i delete whats on the partion and make it bigger or should i just delete it and start over making a new one.And is partion magic a good program to use for it?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I have a 120 gig hard drive and partion magic only supports 80 or am i wrong.Whats a good program that i can easily delete a partition and create a logical one to back up my files so i can reformat.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    It doesn't matter what you use to get the partition just DON'T reformat it or your files are gone.watch some back up disks they want to format the lot read what you are doing when you reload so nothing goes wrong.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by cwctv@5 December 2003 - 21:45
    It doesn't matter what you use to get the partition just DON'T reformat it or your files are gone.watch some back up disks they want to format the lot read what you are doing when you reload so nothing goes wrong.
    what do you mean by this they want to format the lot?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    What it say's they want to re-partition and then format why can't you get the mouse to work sounds like a driver problem to me not a re-install or buy another mouse they are very cheap better than losing your files.

Have you tried all this and that's why HP say to reinstall the reason they say that is because they don't know what's causing the mouse to jump and they are just tring to cover their backs by having a clean install on.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    My mouse jumps all over the screen always dissapears of the right hand side of the screen kinda like it thinks i have a wide screen.I tried reinstalling the drivers and setting the bios to default.I think the mouse is defective.I had a similar problem with a microsoft intellimouse on my other computer but that one i fixed easily.I think when i bought this from best buy and when they installed the os it was corrupt or something cause they are the ones that made the partition and thats what the tech said from hp that the original cd's he sent should fix it.But in my opinion it sounds like they are tying to cover there asses for somthing like you say.So maybe what i'll do is just call hp back and tell them i did the reformat and still doesn't work.I want them to send me a replacement mouse.I treid other mouses even the microsoft one i have on my other computer and they all work fine so either the mouse is bad or the drivers are corrupt on my system.I really dont want to reformat it's more of a pain in the buttocks then anything.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    I agree it is a pain to go through all that when you say "another mouse did work" and as for HP or any of them for that what do they know sat behind a telephone its abit like here really you can't see,play,listen or whatever you just have to go by what you have come up against or know and pass it on.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thats the truth hp doesn't have a clue to what's going on.I think what i'm gonna do is call best buy and wait on hold for an hour and see if i can bring it back since i bought an extended warranty and have them back it up and reinstall it. I forgot i bought an extended warranty for another 300 bucks,for 3 years.I have had this computer since sept 7 and it's crashed twice on me and the muse problem has been since day one when i got home and turned it on. I think best buys cd's are prob corrupt or somthing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast