Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is The Windows Update For?

Hey guys, I dl "The Cat In The Hat" for my 4 year old to watch, but when I go to play it, it says I need to update windows media player. Only, its not a normal update, its a security update. I have 2 versions of the movie, and one of em, as soon as I click on it, says this;

In order to play this file, you need to upgrade your media player to a version compatible with Windows Media Rights Manager V7. Select View Compatible Players below to see a list of compatible media players.
    If your current media player does not have a Windows Media Rights Manager V7 compatible version, you should select a different player with the Windows Media Rights Manager V7 identifier.

The other movie says this when i click on it;

The owner of the protected content you are trying to access requires you to first upgrade some of the Microsoft digital rights management (DRM) componets on your computer.

Click OK to upgrade your computer

Detail: When you click OK, a unique identifier and DRM security file are sent to a Microsoft service on the Internet. The file is replaced with a customized version that contains your unique identifier.

This increase level of protection provided by DRM.

Then there is a "Learn More" button, that takes you here; http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...y/9splayer.aspx

Can someone please tell me what these "security" updates are. I am thinking they are something for the RIAA so they can bust me.

The file names for those two movies are as follows:
    the.cat.in.the.hat[ftf].xvid.ts.2003.mpg
    and
    [tcr]the.cat.in.the.hat.xvid.ts.wmv

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    digital rights management DOES check in with a website, to allow you to view files that have DRM features. it IS a compromise of your privacy, but as far as i know it is only a feature of Windows Media Audio and Windows Media Video (also called WMV or ASF) files. if you want to be safe, i'd recommend only accepting DRM for files that you are legally entitled to view... and when you are looking for legally, uh, questionable files, just avoid the WMV format altogether and stick with AVI/DivX/XviD or MPEG.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    muchspl2
    yea thats why wmp sucks
    stay away from it.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    I tired to view the movies in Video Lan but they wont work with it, what should I be using to watch these videos?

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    the only solution i know of is to convert the file to MPEG, using TmpgEnc. otherwise, it's DRM or nothing.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    yeah i read about this once before and it f*cking sux

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    First, RIAA wonīt bust you for watching illegal movies. RIAA= Recording association of america. As far as I know MPAA (motion picture association of america) donīt have any plans yet to sue people who download illegal copies. And frankly, I think you are a bit paranoid

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by Barky@6 December 2003 - 03:03
    First, RIAA wonīt bust you for watching illegal movies. RIAA= Recording association of america. As far as I know MPAA (motion picture association of america) donīt have any plans yet to sue people who download illegal copies. And frankly, I think you are a bit paranoid
    you are the arrogant one, yea sure riaa = music, but drm is bad for any people that use this board just Wait a few years till drm is on the hardware side

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    BANNED
    drm as in wma files drm?

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    you are the arrogant one, yea sure riaa = music, but drm is bad for any people that use this board just Wait a few years till drm is on the hardware side
    Yea, well I canīt predict the future. But as it is that microsoft bullshit most probably wonīt do you any harm. Not that Iīm an expert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast