Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Drive

Originally posted by lynx@6 December 2003 - 21:06
    If your motherboard supports ATA100 it will almost certainly handle drives greater than 137GB. If not, there should be a bios upgrade available which will enable this feature.

You can get information about your motherboard by running "System Information" if you've got Win2k or XP, though you may need to go into bios setup to find out which version you've got at the moment. Use that info to look up it's capabilities on the manufacturers web site.

The speed of the drive/motherboard is not an issue - they will negotiate the highest common speed, in this case ATA100.
    i'm using windows xp pro and my mother board is intel D875PBZ. i got 80gb hard drive in the system right now and the one that i'm gonna install is Maxtor 160gb ata 133

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Listen aznspikeys, you are the one with the computer. Connect it and try it.

You started this thread something like 17 hours ago. What have you done to test it and what research have you done?

I found this at Intel's site.
    Does the Desktop Board D875PBZ support Ultra ATA/100 hard drives?
    Yes. The Desktop Board D875PBZ supports Ultra ATA transfer rates up to 100 MB/sec (ATA/100) by way of the Intel® 82801ER I/O Controller Hub (ICH5-R) with two independent bus-mastering IDE interfaces. An Ultra ATA/100 supported hard drive and an 80 conductor IDE cable are required to take advantage of the increased bandwidth available on the IDE channel.
    One of the features of the Intel Desktop Board D875PBZ is its ability to support larger ATA/100 capable hard drives with 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) within the BIOS along with all Ultra ATA transfer rates (i.e., 33 MB/sec, 66 MB/sec and 100 MB/sec). To realize a true throughput performance difference, a hard drive may need to implement higher spindle speeds, such as 7200 RPM, and a large onboard buffer size to take advantage of the increased bandwidth available on the IDE channel.
    Source: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd..._inst.htm#18.0

I may seem abrupt to you here but you didn't even post a link to the motherboard in question here. You just named the board.

Is this your one stop place for all your research? A quick search with Google for D875PBZ found this: http://www.google.ca/search?q=D875PBZ&ie=U...le+Search&meta=

The site at the top of the list is: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/

Listen 25 minutes after your first post I had already answered your question.
    You didn't bother to post back until almost 12 hours after that.
    Then 2 hours more delay...
    Then 4 more hours to post that you're still unsure about this.

When are you going to get on with it and report back? Don't keep us waiting forever.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@6 December 2003 - 04:47
    No, you can just plug it in and use it like that at ATA100. There is very little to be gained by adding a card for ATA133 support.
    For real..he answered it right there...it will work.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by aznspikeys+6 December 2003 - 17:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (aznspikeys &#064; 6 December 2003 - 17:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@6 December 2003 - 20:59
    I said it before. You can use the drive without problems. Did you not believe me the first time?
    yes...i believed you..but i just wanted to make sure.....coz if i can&#39;t use the hard drive i&#39;m gonna return it...[/b][/quote]
    You say you believe me but you behave in a way that obviously shows that you still don&#39;t believe me.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by aznspikeys@6 December 2003 - 08:58
    ok...but why ppl use ata cards for? the hard drive that i bought is 160gb and my friend said it&#39;s not gonna recognize as 160gb.
    people buy ata cards if their motherboard just doesn&#39;t have enough ata connectors to support the number of drives they want to install... or if the motherboard&#39;s built-in ata controller is outdated and only supports slower speeds like 33 or 66 MB/sec.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    i&#39;m sorry guys...i&#39;ll try to search in the link that Virtualbody1234 gave me. the thing is i dont wanna open the box if the hard drive is not gonna work with my pc and i&#39;m just gonna return ..... again thanks for all of u guys help...

p.s. i trust everybody&#39;s reply ..dont get me wrong..

peace

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by aznspikeys@6 December 2003 - 19:52
    i dont wanna open the box if the hard drive is not gonna work with my pc and i&#39;m just gonna return
    Boy, you just don&#39;t get it do you.

You are still saying that it&#39;s not going to work, so you want to return it.

What is wrong with you? many of us have already told you it will work.

Again... It will work&#33;

Is that clear enough for you?

Now I&#39;m out of here, you&#39;re a lost cause.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by aznspikeys@6 December 2003 - 17:52
    the thing is i dont wanna open the box if the hard drive is not gonna work with my pc and i&#39;m just gonna return
    Unbelievable.

How long have you been sitting on this unit without even opening the box?

I have actually injured salespeople in a box opening frenzy while still in the bloody STORE&#33;

Don&#39;t be such a weenie.
    Rip that baby open, toss it into your PC and see what happens.

Guaranteed, it will run.

If it doesn&#39;t, you have the perfect opportunity to tell VB that he&#39;s talking out his ass.

It&#39;s a win-win situation&#33;
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    As usual, clocker gets right to the heart of the situation.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

that&#39;s our clocker wouldn&#39;t have it any other way&#33;&#33;&#33;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12