Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive

hi

i just bought a hard drive ATA 133 but my mobo only support ATA 100. what should i do? can i just install and use it with the ata 100 speed ....llike RAMs or.... do i have to install the ata card?

what is that card reallly do? why do we need that card for?

thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    No, you can just plug it in and use it like that at ATA100. There is very little to be gained by adding a card for ATA133 support.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@6 December 2003 - 05:47
    No, you can just plug it in and use it like that at ATA100. There is very little to be gained by adding a card for ATA133 support.
    true, especially due to the limitations of the PCI bus itself.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ok...but why ppl use ata cards for? the hard drive that i bought is 160gb and my friend said it's not gonna recognize as 160gb.

another question is ...if i use the card ....i can get the speed of ata133 or still 100?

thanks

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    If its a Western DIgital, I know the papers inside explain about this.

Atleast in mine, it talked about *looks for documentation*

Okay, the advantages of ATA basically this, (atleast why they gave u a ata card with your drive.) The Current standard of IDE/ATA interface is 28 bit addressing and cannot recoginize more than 123.7 GB of storage. To over come this barrier, hard drives greater than this capacity have adopted a 48 bit addressing system (your ATA Card) with updated controller chips, BIOS codes, and operating system drives.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@6 December 2003 - 18:32
    If its a Western DIgital, I know the papers inside explain about this.

Atleast in mine, it talked about *looks for documentation*

Okay, the advantages of ATA basically this, (atleast why they gave u a ata card with your drive.) The Current standard of IDE/ATA interface is 28 bit addressing and cannot recoginize more than 123.7 GB of storage. To over come this barrier, hard drives greater than this capacity have adopted a 48 bit addressing system (your ATA Card) with updated controller chips, BIOS codes, and operating system drives.
    it's Maxtor 160GB>........and i dont have the ata card.....

so i think i can't use the hard drive...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I said it before. You can use the drive without problems. Did you not believe me the first time?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    If your motherboard supports ATA100 it will almost certainly handle drives greater than 137GB. If not, there should be a bios upgrade available which will enable this feature.

You can get information about your motherboard by running "System Information" if you've got Win2k or XP, though you may need to go into bios setup to find out which version you've got at the moment. Use that info to look up it's capabilities on the manufacturers web site.

The speed of the drive/motherboard is not an issue - they will negotiate the highest common speed, in this case ATA100.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    you can get tools to brake through the barriers also, i beleive 'maxblast' does this

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@6 December 2003 - 20:59
    I said it before. You can use the drive without problems. Did you not believe me the first time?
    yes...i believed you..but i just wanted to make sure.....coz if i can't use the hard drive i'm gonna return it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast