Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Reparations Will Do Nothing For The Poor Black Man

dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Sid Hartha+11 December 2003 - 10:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sid Hartha @ 11 December 2003 - 10:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dwightfry@11 December 2003 - 16:07
    I may not live there, but I do know what I see on the news.
    Why didn&#39;t you say so in the first place? [/b][/quote]
    So now that I say I have seen it on the news, I may be right?
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Originally posted by dwightfry+11 December 2003 - 16:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dwightfry @ 11 December 2003 - 16:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Sid Hartha@11 December 2003 - 10:11
    <!--QuoteBegin-dwightfry
    @11 December 2003 - 16:07
    I may not live there, but I do know what I see on the news.

Why didn&#39;t you say so in the first place?
    So now that I say I have seen it on the news, I may be right? [/b][/quote]
    Just kidding.

Personally, I&#39;m against the idea (reparations). Not because it&#39;s undeserved, but because it won&#39;t work - it&#39;s economically impractical. You can&#39;t put some arbitrary dollar amount on what happened so long ago. It insults the real victims. And for other reasons.

But this thread isn&#39;t really about that. The intent here seems to be to stir up a whole bunch of racial bullshit.
    The Chris Rock joke could just as easily be applied to anyone who belongs to the "underclass". People who don&#39;t see any long-term prosperity tend to spend disproportionately on frivolous items (&#036;800 jacket), lottery tickets etc. This has nothing to do with reparations IMO. I respect Chris Rock - even agree with his politics - but he isn&#39;t above going for the cheap joke.

Not all black people are poor. The reparations issue (which I&#39;m against) wasn&#39;t intended to address poverty.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Poster
    I look at it like this why should I have to pay with my tax dollars for something me nor my ancestors did, its completely ridiculous .......

4. Lounge   -   #44
    So why did you ancestors come here?

Surely the opportunities provided here are the result of the hardwork done by the people that preceded the arrivial of your ancestors. You reap the rewards of the past and accept them without a thought, but you must also accept the sins as well. When you become an American, you must recognize that the "sins of the father (metaphorically) are inherited upon the son".

I don&#39;t disagree with reparations in theory, I think it would, however; effect no real change. It all goes back to that "Give someone a meal and his belly is full today, teach someone to farm....".

Our policies are inconsistent though, as Japanese-Americans held in camps during WW2 were given reparations for their imprisonment. In fact, this probably started the whole issue anyway. Hey, the Japanese got paid, why not us?

Yeah, why not?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. Lounge   -   #45
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    Just kidding.
    Yeah...I don&#39;t want to argue about it either. If you weren&#39;t going to stop it this time, I was going to. No hard feelings.

Japanese-Americans held in camps during WW2 were given reparations
    Like it said earlier, the blacks were promised reparations when they were freed. We didn&#39;t pay up. At first I agreed with the idea that they would have had to split up there belongings to there children so therfore it ends up being a dollar a piece, but not anymore. We promised them and didn&#39;t pay up, then we still owe with interest and inflation so it would still be a lot more then &#036;1. Unfortunatly, then they would have done something with it. Material things met very little back then (Compared to now), it was all survival. They had kids to helps with the farms and support the family. I think kids grew up too fast back then, but now they grow up to slow. Anyways...back to my point, it would have helped them out tremedously back then, but now, probably not. We fucked up.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345