Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: VPNs becoming mainstream

Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    I think a time will come when the anti-piracy thugs will come after VPN services and pressure them to throttle sites that promote illegal activity like torrent sites etc.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Most of them are incorporated on carefully-chosen jurisdictions precisely to avoid that sort of situation. At most, the less pirate-friendly countries can put pressure on individual servers within their territory (and it's happened), which usually results in the VPN service packing up and leaving, perhaps offering a virtual location as a replacement. Or at least, that's how it is for now
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    TweakNews comes with a VPN as part of the package. Anybody have any thoughts as if it is any good?

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Reviews agree they're generally doing things right, but there are a few caveats: relatively small selection of servers compared to the big players, no anonymous payments, no Wireguard support and no mention of port forwarding. The facts you're getting it as a bonus for purchasing a different service and until recently that was the only way to gain access at all, make it understandable that they'd have to cut some corners. But for casual usage it looks fine.
    Last edited by anon; 10-01-2021 at 11:00 PM.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    My complaint with their VPN is that it's not a stable connection. Every so often you lose connectivity and it resets.

Not a big deal if you are grabbing stuff from usenet, but it really pisses me off when I am downloading some 2GB files from a one-click host and it kills the download at 99%.

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Awful scenario indeed, but as a downloader there's little reason to use VPNs on file hosts besides bypassing IP-based traffic limits? And personally, I'm rarely in a rush anyway...

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    I've been using Privado VPN; it came with my Newshosting sub (unlimited on VPN and News for $40/year). It maxes out around 30mb/s depending on the endpoint (US is fast, elsewhere not so much). P2P isn't so good; port-forwarding doesn't seem to work.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    I purchased a lifetime one from slickdeals a while back but never used it, and now AT&T offers a free one if you have their unlimited plan. I have yet to try it on the desktop and typically just use it on the iphone

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazindreamr View Post
    P2P isn't so good; port-forwarding doesn't seem to work.
    Few services offer that. In most cases, when they claim to support P2P traffic, it merely means they don't disallow it.

Quote Originally Posted by jojobrown911 View Post
    AT&T offers a free one if you have their unlimited plan
    How does that work exactly? Who supplies the actual VPN service?
    Last edited by anon; 10-11-2021 at 02:49 AM.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    I get a free one with my newsgroup provider, but its slow as molasses.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast