Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: VPNs becoming mainstream

I've tried ProtonVPN, but the free version didn't have too many free servers (what do you expect - for free...)

When I use a VPN, I use Windscribe now...

2. File Sharing   -   #52
    not necessary, just be careful

3. File Sharing   -   #53
    Which VPN Providers Really Take Privacy Seriously in 2023?

Mullvad removed support for port forwarding some months ago, and Proton has yet to add it. Unfortunate, as they're otherwise excellent choices.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. File Sharing   -   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
    I'm using Hola VPN but it's not free. Are there any free VPNs as good as that?
    I'm usually use WindScribe and ProtonVPN. Both are quite fast.

5. File Sharing   -   #55
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbill14 View Post
    I've tried ProtonVPN, but the free version didn't have too many free servers (what do you expect - for free...)
    It seems Romania and Poland were added to the location roster for free users.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Mullvad removed support for port forwarding some months ago, and Proton has yet to add it.
    Proton added port forwarding for paid accounts, but it's quite limited: you must connect using their app and get one randomly assigned port.

Quote Originally Posted by MUNFAQQIHA View Post
    I'm usually use WindScribe and ProtonVPN. Both are quite fast.
    Cryptofree removed their (extremely low) speed limits a few years ago. Still only one server in France, though.

6. File Sharing   -   #56
    Interesting posts here. I've never used VPN, but obvious NordVPN is plastered all over in various adds.
    I've heard that if you use a VPN for say Netflix you can get more content that is otherwise supressed.

Are there any advantages to a paid one vs a freed one, or is it a case of "you get what you pay for... or not"?

7. File Sharing   -   #57
    Quote Originally Posted by specfreak View Post
    Are there any advantages to a paid one vs a freed one, or is it a case of "you get what you pay for... or not"?
    With very few exceptions, it's more like "if you don't pay for the product, you are the product". All VPNs ultimately require you to place a large amount of trust on whoever operates them, irrespective of their price or privacy policy. But when they give the service away for free, you need to ask yourself what they've done to earn that trust, how such a scheme can be sustainable, and what they stand to lose from acting maliciously.

8. File Sharing   -   #58
    Thanks for your wise words, very useful.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456