Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Thought On Moderation

I just read Jetje's post in another thread and I appreciate the no win situations Mods can be placed in.

When a thread is removed, this bothers people as most never come back and we feel censored by some arbitrary decision and powerless to fight it.

As Jetje explains, sometimes you have a decent thread but at some point a few people get all worked up and start cursing at each other. Perhaps instead of locking or deleting the thread, we could place an "icecube" on it to cool it down for a few hours. Let those posters stop frothing at the mouth and calm down.

This would save decent threads from being scrapped.

So:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    icecube: temporary lock to let people cool off.

lock: for threads which were never intended for anything but flaming (see anything posted by Hypoluxa3000)

Delete: for threads saying "Hey, look at my site, link here". The forum is gracious enough to allow us to post links to our forums in the sig. section.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not delete the locked threads?

Having these threads available to read will allow us to get a better picture of what people are really like, warts and all, as JPol said. If people want to poop on our forum, let them lie in it, don't clean it up for them.

edit: My comments are made as general comments on the board. If I were upset with a particular Mod, I would have discussed this via PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    good idea...

this guy needs to be put on the new plan :-"
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Lounge   -   #3
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    not a bad idea.
    i have gotten out of hand sometimes and think this is a better way to handle it.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    nice idea hobbes

this is the biggest culprate :-"

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Originally posted by Kunal@6 December 2003 - 17:51
    nice idea hobbes

this is the biggest culprate :-"
    aw...shucks :">

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Some nice thinking by bunny boy.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@6 December 2003 - 17:55
    24-carrot ideas, one might say...

i&#39;ll get me coat

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+6 December 2003 - 19:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 6 December 2003 - 19:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@6 December 2003 - 17:55
    24-carrot ideas, one might say...

i&#39;ll get me coat [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t forget your hat as well.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Double Agent
    mmm why dont we make hobbes a mod? that would solve a lot of problems in the lounge...

10. Lounge   -   #10
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    most problems would&#39;nt even happen if people respected the thread, stuck to the topic and stopped flaming. A good heated argument is healthy - changing a topics direction because you have nothing to say except make a noise is childish - what you say hobbes is a good idea - give people time to cool down - delete the crap and carry on again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast