Thread: Recommendation for Mesh wifi

Hi,

I am looking for some recommendations for getting a Mesh Wifi system.
    Currently I have Archer triband router, but its dropping a lot.
    I would like to install mesh so that I can get consistent internet.
    I just moved to ATT Fiber and using its modem/router combo along with my Archer router.

I need to cover around 3500 sq feet space.

Any suggestions/recommendations will help.

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    ASUS routers work reasonably well.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks Caballero,

I am trying TP-Link AX11000 for now, and looks like its giving good speeds. I will try this for few more days and check if this is right for me.
    I will try ASUS as well.

Thanks

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Meshes and repeaters suck; Wi-Fi is half-duplex after all. If you want a proper solution, you'll need to set up wired access points on non-overlapping channels. And don't forget the 5 GHz and higher-frequency bands have drastically shorter range.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Meshes and repeaters suck; Wi-Fi is half-duplex after all. If you want a proper solution, you'll need to set up wired access points on non-overlapping channels. And don't forget the 5 GHz and higher-frequency bands have drastically shorter range.
    I find that you have to be careful to space out mesh routers far enough from each other. Had three set up of which two apparently were too close and my computer must have been right in the middle and kept switching between access points. Despite what the ads tell you, it is noticeable and drags on performance. Had to shut one off for the network to become more stable...

Which reminds me -- anyone got a recommendation for an .ax router? If I understand it correctly, you get the speed of 5 Ghz and the range of 2.4 Ghz?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    I find that you have to be careful to space out mesh routers far enough from each other. Had three set up of which two apparently were too close and my computer must have been right in the middle and kept switching between access points.
    That's a given. To top it off, adjusting the roaming sensitivity won't help in such a scenario.

Which reminds me -- anyone got a recommendation for an .ax router? If I understand it correctly, you get the speed of 5 Ghz and the range of 2.4 Ghz?
    Haven't had the opportunity to play with one of these yet

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Decided to experiment a little and grabbed an ASUS RT-AX86U at Best Buy yesterday. I figure I an always return it in the next two weeks if I am less than impressed. Price match for Amazon offer at $250.

First impression: Even without an .ax receiver and just connecting with .ac equipment, the connection is more stable and faster than what I had before. SABnzb claims download speed of 17 MB/sec where before I may have seen 9 or 10 MB/sec (all this over wifi on a gigabit line coming in). I'm replacing an ASUS RT-AC68U, really a reflashed T-Mobile router that's probably five or six years old, so maybe it's just the effect of the faster processor and extra RAM in the new router that I am seeing. Could be that the old router was affected by (over)heat(ing) issues (the new one seems cooler to the touch). Maybe installing new Intel drivers may have contributed. Who knows.

Next step: get a USB .ax receiver I can plug into my PC or laptop and see what speed bump I'm getting from that. $50 on Amazon, or thereabouts.

Oh, and just to close the circle to this thread: Yes, the RT-AX86U is meshable. I'm thinking I an probably use the old AC68Us as nodes if need be.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    We've discussed this before, but if high speeds are of the essence, are you sure you can't wire everything instead? Gigabit Ethernet would give you numbers in the high 110s.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    They are and they aren't. Given the number of devices in my family, stability and the ability to handle lots of connections seems more critical, and you cannot wire an iPad.

Honestly, if it takes me 5 seconds to download a tv shop episode, I am happy. Downloading it in four seconds is not a life-altering experience. And at that point convenience and aesthetics (don't want wires all over the house) come into play. So I'm happy with whatever speed limits wifi gives me, even if I leave some speed on the table. And I can still hook up a cable whenver I need to get a, uhm, multi-gig linux distro.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Fair enough.