Thread: File sharing theoretically possible for Macs?

ShinShin's Avatar Poster

Question Mark

Hullo, folks!

Quick question -

I will be doing the switcheroo in the near future and was wondering what the sitch is for file sharing (using BT) with Mac OSX.

Is it possible to watch ripped movies (4K, etc.) on a Mac (shared using the usual methods over the interwebs)?

I suppose the software selection in the scene for Mac is inferior to that available for Windose users.

Any input appreciated, thx.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Is it possible to watch ripped movies (4K, etc.) on a Mac (shared using the usual methods over the interwebs)?
    Yes, but you must pay $19.95 to Apple to unlock this feature

All the programs you're used to have either equivalents or good substitutes on Mac OS.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    ShinShin's Avatar Poster
    Hey anon,

Thanks for replying!

I'm guessing your 20-dollar comment is a jibe

For the rest, will I be able to transfer my data from my Windose machine to my Mac, considering NTFS vs. FAT32?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I'm guessing your 20-dollar comment is a jibe
    Well, it's Apple...

For the rest, will I be able to transfer my data from my Windose machine to my Mac, considering NTFS vs. FAT32?
    Mac OS can't read NTFS out of the box, and the 4 GB file size limit on FAT32 is very likely to get in your way. Most people would use an exFAT volume (supported by both systems) as a transitional measure. Setting up a network share on your Windows computer and then copying everything over your LAN is another possibility.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ShinShin's Avatar Poster
    Thanks again anon!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Don't mention it. Seems you've already switched?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    ShinShin's Avatar Poster
    Yeah! Got myself the entry-level M1 Pro (October 2021 model) - turns out it maybe wasn't the smartest purchase decision considering it cost only 100 EUR less than the M2 Pro with the exact same RAM and SSD specs (but 2 more CPU and 2 more GPU cores) costs...

Was baited into buying it because at the time it seemed to cost much less than the M2, but then it turned out that that deal was out and for some strange reason they started selling it for 350 EUR more, so about 200 more than the M2 with the same 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    that deal was out and for some strange reason they started selling it for 350 EUR more

I don't have as much Mac OS experience as I'd like, but there's no way I'm giving Apple my money, and a Hackintosh has hardware requirements far in excess of what I currently own. Maybe one day...

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    ShinShin's Avatar Poster
    Yeah, it was akin to a cherry-popping of sorts.

I feel strangely dirty after the fact, all things considered. Have the uneasy feeling that I got swindled somehow...

Got a torrent client for Mac called "Folx" but I tried leeching Final Cut Pro from TL and it wouldn't start...

Meanwhile, still can't understand, after browsing multiple pages, whether Premiere Pro v23 (which is also on TL) has come out for Macs (the x64 Windose version is clearly not for Macs) - same goes for Acrobat Pro.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Got a torrent client for Mac called "Folx" but I tried leeching Final Cut Pro from TL and it wouldn't start...
    Check out TL's client whitelist.