Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is Laserdisc?

for anybody who ever wondered...

... here's a fairly brief, tidy explanation of what a 12-inch LaserDisc actually contains, and how it works.

http://www.access-one.com/rjn/laser/legacy/ld96.html

the gist of it is that, although a lot of LaserDisc content is created from a digital master copy (hence the reason that many early DVDs were mastered from the same source as previous LD versions... and you'll see the phrase "digitally mastered" on a lot of commercial VHS tapes too), the disc actually contains a form of analogue video that's read by a laser.

this knowledge doesn't seem to be very common at all, and it took me a while to dig it up. it's prolly the kind of trivia that will impress some of your more geeky, tech-oriented friends when you drop the science on them at parties.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i always thought they were just huge DVD's

and they look like a huge record

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    how about this.

RCA Selectavision, a vinyl + needle based video disc format from the late '70s.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    muchspl2
    heck I love LD's I got about 200 and for the longest time, the ld version was the best version cause they didn't release it on dvd
    like the star wars extended edition, back to the future and the indiana jones collection just to name a full
    most have ac3 DD and only +/- 100 lor from a dvd

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/...erDVL-909.shtml I bought this one, well I ordered the 908 and they just upgreaded me to the next model

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    i have some laserdiscs, like recordes, although more like cds... i would like a DVD that was that big.. imagine the space...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by SciManAl@6 December 2003 - 18:50
    i would like a DVD that was that big.. imagine the space...
    yeah, but the trend is always going to be just figuring out ways to squeeze more data into smaller containers. the new formats like Blu-Ray DVD & such are all about using narrower tracks and increasing the number of readable layers per disc.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    well then use that with a 1.5 foot disc and dream.... lol.....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by muchspl2@6 December 2003 - 18:43
    the star wars extended edition
    star wars LDs still are the best versions, 'cause the DVDs don't exist yet. i dunno, maybe george lucas is still working on them, adding scenes of jar-jar binks to the original films so he can release them as super deluxe director's cut special special special editions.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    muchspl2
    I figere hes waiting for all movies to release some 200 set, it was cool I bought all three for 12 bucks and there still going for much more on ebay

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by muchspl2@6 December 2003 - 19:04
    I bought all three for 12 bucks
    not bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast