Originally posted by Kunal+7 December 2003 - 22:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kunal @ 7 December 2003 - 22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert00000@7 December 2003 - 23:01
Overclocking makes your system unstable. It may look ok when you run normal windows&nbsp; functions, but certain software will crash your system or your processor will overheat for no reason.

Think very carefully before you overclock, its not worth the extra few megahertz.
overclocking doesnt nessercerialy make your system unstable. you should only oc if you have good cooling. i beleive overclocking is worth the risks, i have overclocked my 2000+ (palamino) to 1.825ghz from 1.675ghz, my pc mark scores have gone up by 1000 points (cpu) and my system seems alot faster while photo editing [/b][/quote]
Have you tried using movie encoding software like tmpgenc after oc. When i overclocked my pc just to test it (i have 2000+ too) it would crash when using processor demanding applications. Everyone i know who&#39;s overclocked has had probs with their system.

There is a reason manufacturers set a limit to processors. OK, certain processors like one of the Athlon XP 1800+ can actually run at 2600+, but it was just to save costs that AMD labelled it as 1800+ when in fact it was a 2600+.

Test your system for stability by running different types of power hungry applications, only that way will you be able to see if your system is unstable.

I can guarantee your 2000+ running at 1.825ghz will crash far more often than one kept at its default settings. Minor increases in mhz dont matter that much, but its not worth tampering with if the gain is only tiny, particularly for a novice.