Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1100mhz To 1466mhz In Pnp Settings

I have a 1.1 GHz Duron processor, just recently I found out that in system setup the cpu speed can be changed to 1.5GHz in plug n play settings but when I change the speed everthing turns blanc and the only thing running is my power supply until I reboot. Later I noticed that when I try to change the cpu setting it also changes some other setting from 100Mhz to 133MHz I'm not sure if this is the ram it's trying to change or not. But my ram is only 256MB of SDRAM @ 100MHz. I'm not sure if the cpu speed can't be changed because of the motherboard, ram or just wrong info in the bios settings. If it's the ram why would it be? I might get some DDR Ram @ 400MHz or so but would this increase be able to increase the cpu speed?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    kid, its called overclocking, and by the way your saying it, you dont kno shit bout it so dont fuxing overclock...it can damage ur mobo and cpu...upgrade dont overclock

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ^^^ yes that's why i'm asking for help.

I know it's overclocking already but it wouldn't say it can change setting without a reason. Anyway the cpu frequency and dram frequency changes from 100MHz to 133MHz I just want to know if this has anything to do with th ram.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thats the fsb (front side bus) i dont think you should change that depending on your multiplier.

So like, if your running the CPU in 100Mhz fsb, the multiplier should be at 11x wich will make the CPU run at 1.1Ghz. (normal speed for your CPU)

If you change it to 133Mhz fsb, your CPU will be running at 1.463Ghz wich you should NOT be doing.

See if you can lower the Multipler so it runs at something Lower that 1.463Ghz otherwise your going to fry your board and the cpu.

If your ram is PC 100, i would leave the CPU at 100Mhz fsb but if the ram is PC 133, im sure it would be safe to run your CPU at 133Mhz fsb but lower the multiplyer to 9x. (CPU would be at 1.197Ghz wich is a lot safer than 1.5Ghz )

Im not a Proffesional or anything im just telling you what i know from experiance.

If im wrong in anyway, im sure someone will correct me but im sure im right about this.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    That maybe your front side BUS thats going from 100Mhz to 133Mhz. your front side BUS is where you get system resources from, Not your RAM

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    on older mobo's as you increase your system bus, you ram frequency increases with it

also KILskOOL, what kind of cooling have you got? what are your temps, if they above 50c (at standard speed) , dont even think about overclocking!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Overclocking makes your system unstable. It may look ok when you run normal windows functions, but certain software will crash your system or your processor will overheat for no reason.

Think very carefully before you overclock, its not worth the extra few megahertz.
    Robert00000

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Robert00000@7 December 2003 - 23:01
    Overclocking makes your system unstable. It may look ok when you run normal windows functions, but certain software will crash your system or your processor will overheat for no reason.

Think very carefully before you overclock, its not worth the extra few megahertz.
    overclocking doesnt nessercerialy make your system unstable. you should only oc if you have good cooling. i beleive overclocking is worth the risks, i have overclocked my 2000+ (palamino) to 1.825ghz from 1.675ghz, my pc mark scores have gone up by 1000 points (cpu) and my system seems alot faster while photo editing

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    i beleive overclocking is worth the risks
    I don't.

And I think its good advice that Robert00000 is providing considering that the thread starter doesn't seem to know what he's doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast