Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Newbie Gets The Runaround

Ex-member
    OK - it's another "screwed via eBay" story....

I recently bought an Acer Travelmate 223X laptop from eBay - it had a dodgy screen and a missing hard drive, which I have replaced, all well and good. In total it cost me £350 (so far).

Specs:

Intel Celeron-M 1.13GHz
    256MB PC133 SDRAM
    Integrated Intel graphics
    Integrated sound
    4GB hard drive ( )
    24x CDROM drive
    14.1" TFT
    Integrated LAN, USB, etc
    Windows XP Pro license

Not a bad deal for £350 - the HD could be bigger but it suffices for what I'm using it for (uni work and a second home PC); I can always upgrade the HD later if necessary.

Here comes the but.

The battery doesn't work. Running on AC power, it runs like a dream - but will that battery work? Nope. And can I get anything done about it by the seller? Nope - we made a deal over the screen replacement and the matter is now concluded.

So basically I am left with a laptop that only works if I can get access to a plug socket, which is OK for most uses but does rather limit its usefulness for university work - I can't use it in lectures, etc.

I'd like to get it fixed but the problem is I don't know whether it is the battery or the battery interface that is dead. If it's the battery then that's fine - I can get a new one. Expensive, but probably worth it. If it's the interface then there's no way it can be repaired.

When I plug the battery into the laptop along with the AC adapter, the "battery charging" LED lights up but no charge seems to be transferred to the battery. Windows detects no battery, and the machine won't boot without the AC supply. The battery isn't visibly damaged; nor is the interface.

Does anyone know of any way that I can tell where the problem lies?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    If you leave it charging overnight does it even take a little charge? Maybe just a few seconds worth?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@8 December 2003 - 00:05
    If you leave it charging overnight does it even take a little charge? Maybe just a few seconds worth?
    No - tried that, but it doesn't make any difference.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Double Agent
    you could try the new battery at the store....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yeah good idea, you should take it down to a store that has the batteries and just ask if you can try it a new battery.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    major electronic items...

... one of the few things that i absolutely refuse to buy through ebay, 'cause they're the ones most likely to have problems (or turn out to be a "grab the money & disappear" scam). i've been shopping on ebay for years, but still wouldn't buy electronics there.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@8 December 2003 - 00:26
    major electronic items...

... one of the few things that i absolutely refuse to buy through ebay, 'cause they're the ones most likely to have problems (or turn out to be a "grab the money & disappear" scam). i've been shopping on ebay for years, but still wouldn't buy electronics there.
    I know that now

In response to the idea about trying the batteries out at the shop: would be ideal, but I don't know of anywhere that sells these batteries ove rthe counter - it seems to be a specific type I need which I can only get by mail order.

The code on the battery is BTP-43D1.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Double Agent
    ahh i just thought about this: even if they carry it in shops it wouldn't be charged. so .. heh

u r in no luck....

but if windows can detect it while charging then there might be hope for ur laptop...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Maybe you could connect some very thin wires to the battery terminals and close the cover. You could then test to see it there was any voltage present when it says 'charging'. Just an idea...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@8 December 2003 - 02:32
    Maybe you could connect some very thin wires to the battery terminals and close the cover. You could then test to see it there was any voltage present when it says 'charging'. Just an idea...
    I thinking about a similar idea, but i think the battery has several terminals.
    Might not be to easy to work out which ones, I'm only going by a picture i saw.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast