Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Anonymous Are We?

mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Hello all,
    FYI
    Just saw this while checking out the latest news on CNN.com

Excerpts from the article:

"This Japanese case demonstrates how difficult it can be to stay anonymous on the Internet."

"The program allows users to trade files without revealing their Internet Protocol address"

"....the two Japanese men were apparently caught because they used a messaging function....."

Here is the entire CNN report:
    Japan Arrests File Sharers

mrlessk

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Probably the key phrase"

"Freenet's creator, Ian Clarke, said the two Japanese men were apparently caught because they used a messaging function in Winny that was not anonymous."
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    if you ever get caught for any of this just burn all your files onto cd and then delete everything and then deny the lot let them prove in a court of law beyond any reasonable doubt that you did this crap. its the same as the tax people they put in silly demands that are impossible to prove and hope for the best but people are so silly all you have to do is say prove in court that i have done this and they will buckle.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by spanishpete@9 December 2003 - 11:48
    if you ever get caught for any of this just burn all your files onto cd and then delete everything .
    As much as this sounds like a worthwhile contingency plan spanishpete, simply by the act of "deleting" your files does not completely remove them and any good investigator worth his salt, using special programs can seek out folders in other areas of your computer where files were deleted from your Recycle Bin, backed-up by your OS, in a hidden recovery folder, or just simply hidden from the average user (like myself).

Here are a couple of examples:
    Recover deleted files

Recovering missing Data

I've often pondered over this dilemma. Anyone with a sure-fire way to completely remove access to "unwanted" files from your computer, other than running over your harddrive with a bulldozer and making it completely inoperable...please let me know.
    Remember that quote... "where there's a will (or search warrant) there's a way"
    mrlessk :newyear:

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Double Agent
    well they can't get ur hdd without a warrant... so if you are not running databases of every movie/music/app that ever existed then they'll probably WONT get a search warrant and take all of ur computers.

users like us are vast and getting 4 million search warrants? nah

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by CornerPocket@9 December 2003 - 11:28

9/11/2003
    In Memory of my Brother,
    US Army Staff Sgt. Henry Ybarra, III
    6th Squadron, 6th Cavalry Six-Shooters (6/6 CAV)
    "Operation Iraqi Freedom"
    God bless him and all our heros!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by mrlessk+10 December 2003 - 02:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrlessk @ 10 December 2003 - 02:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CornerPocket@9 December 2003 - 11:28

9/11/2003
    In Memory of my Brother,
    US Army Staff Sgt. Henry Ybarra, III
    6th Squadron, 6th Cavalry Six-Shooters (6/6 CAV)
    "Operation Iraqi Freedom"
    God bless him and all our heros&#33; [/b][/quote]
    a little off topic dont u think?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Just get a second hard drive (external), make sure all your stuff is only on that hard drive(make sure virtual memory manifests itself on the hard drive) , and physically destroy the hard drive (a microwave oven should suffice) should you ever get caught.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by Madchris@15 December 2003 - 18:11
    Just get a second hard drive (external), make sure all your stuff is only on that hard drive(make sure virtual memory manifests itself on the hard drive) , and physically destroy the hard drive (a microwave oven should suffice) should you ever get caught.
    I would actuallly improve on that situation. Since anything downloaded will prbably leave some trace on the master* drive, downloading files to the slave* drive will not be completely secure. I have another idea.
    • Get a clean hard drive
    • Install an OS and some programs on it
    • Add some files to make it seem like you use it often
    • Remove this drive and keep it in a safe place
    • Get your normal hard drive
    • Do all your downloading of stuff when this drive is in
    • If the police arrest you tell them you need a warrant
    • While they are getting a warrant take this drive out (hide or destroy it) and put the other one in

I doubt this would work though as your isp probably has kept some logs (they say they don&#39;t but they probably do).

*I can use these terms all I like. It&#39;s legal to say them where I live.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    h1
    http://www.evidence-eliminator.com

Most of what they say are lies, but the program is excellent (PC Magazine 5 stars)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast