Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bios Died

scruge, I haven't tried the recent posts. I was watching DareDevil. Awesome movie! Anyway, thanks guys, I'll try this.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    umm that reminds me, the other persno w/ the messed up invalid system disk problem should read this ... lol

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Ok. I tried to clear my CMOS yesterday and it didn't work. I found the pins below the silver battery. One pin is red [and thicker] and the other is black. I tried holding the two together for about 5 seconds. I rebooted the computer and I heard the processor click. Nothing happened.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Well both pins should be the same and maybe there is a jumper on one of them. Did you see the picture in the manual I posted earlier? Both pins should be the same size and brass in color. Use one of those jumpers to make the connection between the pins numbered 2 and 3.

Anyway if resetting your CMOS doesn't work send it back to the mfg. or get a replacement motherboard.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    I read the manual posted. It's the same one I have. I was reading about CMOS on another page and I tried removing the BIOS battery and putting it back in. That didn't work.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Removing the battery is not the same as shorting the clear CMOS jumpers. Even if you remove the battery there is residual power keeping the CMOS data unchanged.

I edited this picture for you. I added the red parts:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    I think this is getting out of hand!

He upgrated his BIOS with other sofware! That will stay in there for ever! You can clear CMOS to infinity and beyond but it won't change a thing i'm afraid now...
    Do what scruge mentioned (but some options i disabled...&#33 Best and must work solution!

If it turns out none of the previous suggestions work there is one other that is a sure fix if the bios has been corrupted.
    Get another mb same make and model as yours. Buy one locally from a dealer with a liberal return policy.

1. Remove power to your system
    2. Unplug the corrupted bios chip
    3. Install the bios chip from the new mb into your system
    4. Apply power to your system and Boot it up.

Just ask your dealer if they have a MotherBoard the same as yours with other problems... ask the BIOS chip!
    Shouldn't cost you a thing!

Good Luck!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    sometimes you can take out an unpluggable bios chip and send it away to be reflashed
    (not if its soldered to the motherboard but thats rare) - by sites such as
    http://www.motherboard-biosflash.co.uk/ in the UK and
    http://www.badflash.com/ in the States
    costs about £8 - £10 here in the UK

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Nobody1234, it's all clear to me now. I thought the red enclosing was one pin. But it actually holds 1 & 2 together. Thank you. You didn't have to create that, but it really helped. Rocktron, I didn't install the BIOS from another party. I installed them from the Gigabyte Motherboard CD. sleepy ben, I'll try that as a last resort.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    It's alive! Thanks, Nobody1234.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast