Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Quick Question

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I've just finished writing my UCAS personal statement and I'm quite happy with the end result but am a bit worried that it may be too short...so I was wondering if any people out there that are already students can give me an idea of how many words they used for their UCAS applications.

Any ideas on this would be really helpful.

btw I've got about 400 words at the moment...

2. Lounge   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    400 words clearly written is far better than reams and reams of crap.

Remember that whoever is going to read this also has to reads lots of others. They will probably only read it if they have to decide between you and someone else. If it's too long they won't bother. 400 words sounds about right.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Cheers lynx you're definetley right they're looking for quality not quantity and I've certainly got that (if i do say so myself... )

I think I'll stick with what I've got and keep my fingers crossed...

4. Lounge   -   #4
    modest i see

If your not sure just ask the teacher or person who sends them off.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    what exactly is UCAS? i started 6th form in september and have herd it mentioned a few times but i still have no clue what it is or means

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by thisiswhoweare@9 December 2003 - 21:13
    modest i see

If your not sure just ask the teacher or person who sends them off.
    lol yup always with the modesty

I can't ask a teacher as I'm a mature student....it's been a while since I've been at school

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee@9 December 2003 - 21:34
    what exactly is UCAS? i started 6th form in september and have herd it mentioned a few times but i still have no clue what it is or means
    UCAS is Universities and Colleges Admissions Service

It's who you send your University application off to when you want to go to Uni, you've got all that to come next September...

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Ex-member
    Here's mine, seemed to do well enough by me (6 unconditionals):

Personal Statement: Liam J. McBrien

Intended field of study: Computer science

I have been interested in computing ever since my brother taught me to program in BASIC at the age of 10. Since then, I have progressively become more and more experienced with the use of computers, to the point where I am now able to assemble and set up new PCs for my family and friends. Recently, I did some voluntary work for my school which involved repairing 40 old computers and setting them up with Microsoft Windows. This was extremely useful and enjoyable, as it gave me a lot of new experience in the maintenance of both hardware of software. Another school initiative which I participate in is the 6th years’ student council, of which I am the joint head.

I am very active outside of school, with a part-time job as a shop assistant and various social commitments, including participating in my local Amnesty International group and shooting with Glasgow’s longbow archery club, Green Hollow Bowmen. In the recent Scotland-wide championship series I ranked 3rd and also recorded the highest single score of the year. Archery is very demanding in terms of co-ordination and concentration (not to mention strength&#33, so it has greatly improved my ability to focus both mentally and physically on an activity.
    Music is another of my passions, especially rock music – I like the cheerful, ‘live-life-to-the-fullest’ philosophy of rock. When playing, I prefer to accompany others – I play drums and rhythm guitar for both of my school’s bands; I find it very satisfying to play as part of a group.

When not out playing baseball or football with my friends I like to read, in particular science fiction and fantasy such as the works of Asimov, Tolkein and Pratchett. Computer gaming is another of my pastimes, in particular playing strategy and puzzle games with my friends or writing my own (simple) games. Much of my time is also dedicated to repairing, upgrading and maintaining my friends’ computers – if they actually paid me I’d classify it as a part-time job!

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Trust me, at my job we interview 100's of applicants per year. If it is short and tight we read it, otherwise it goes unread, we simply don't have the time.

The key is to avoid typos and other gross errors. We all know that those things are a bunch of bullshit anyway.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

10. Lounge   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Personal Statement: Liam J. McBrien

Intended field of study: Computer science

I have been interested in computing ever since my brother taught me to program in BASIC at the age of 10. Since then, I have progressively become more and more experienced with the use of computers, to the point where I am now able to assemble and set up new PCs for my family and friends. Recently, I did some voluntary work for my school which involved repairing 40 old computers and setting them up with Microsoft Windows. This was extremely useful and enjoyable, as it gave me a lot of new experience in the maintenance of both hardware of software. Another school initiative which I participate in is the 6th years’ student council, of which I am the joint head.Expand this a bit more, sounds like an afterthought

I am very active outside of school, with a part-time job as a shop assistant and various social commitments, including participating in my local Amnesty International group and shooting with Glasgow’s longbow archery club, Green Hollow Bowmen. In the recent Scotland-wide championship series I ranked 3rd and also recorded the highest single score of the year. Archery is very demanding in terms of co-ordination and concentration (not to mention strength&#33, so it has greatly improved my ability to focus both mentally and physically on an activity.
    Music is another of my passions, especially rock music – I like the cheerful, ‘live-life-to-the-fullest’ philosophy of rock. When playing, I prefer to accompany others – I play drums and rhythm guitar for both of my school’s bands; I find it very satisfying to play as part of a group.

When not out playing baseball or football with my friends I like to read, in particular science fiction and fantasy such as the works of Asimov, Tolkein and Pratchett. Computer gaming is another of my pastimes, in particular playing strategy and puzzle games with my friends or writing my own (simple) games. Much of my time is also dedicated to repairing, upgrading and maintaining my friends’ computers – if they actually paid me I’d classify it as a part-time job! Probably should have been linked to earlier the computer passage
    Some suggestions (not necessarily correct) as to how Lamsey's PS might have been improved, although it is pretty good in the first place. I think the personal thrust of the statement is the important thing to notice, since that is the reader's primary point of interest.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast