Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't We All Just Stop Sharing...?

Knew that would get your attention!

The entire question is... Can't we all just stop sharing BUNK FILES!?!?

I know ya'll don't know me, but some of you certainly will.

Seems the recording industry is really beginning to nip our said process in the bud. I'm not gonna name any particular labels or artists here... but this has been the case with a couple of different pre-releases I have searched for recently. For instance:

I searched for artist "A", and refined the search for title "B" with a bitrate quality of at least 192. Using the AutoSearchMore feature yielded nearly 500 results in a mere span of 5 minutes. Bear in mind that this is a new artist (no previous releases) whose album will not officially release until 3/4/03.

Needless to say, there are not very many pre-release copies of the actual CD sort floating around... and most of them are in the hands of radio stations... if that. The few ppl. that ripped these tunes evidently never bothered to listen to the product they dropped to thier shared folder... cuz the files are ridden with interruptions, foreign sounds (such as telephone company dial tones and error tones, and the like) and volume variations.

Obviously, this was planned. And to tell you the truth, I can respect the labels wish to keep clean files out of the hands of the likes of us until they can officially release their product. I have no problem with that at all. And don't get me wrong.....I'm not upset about not being able to get the files RIGHT NOW. I'm patient, I can wait.

However, I do have a problem with the rapid propogation of sharing a bad file. A few users? Fine.... but if I am already recieving several hundred results of the same bad file now in just a few minutes, imagine what it will be like by 3/4/03... when the album is actually released. Several thousand??? To the point of K-Lite freezing, probably.

This is going to clog everyone's results with crap we would never want to listen to... and make it much more difficult to find the real thing in the long run, once it is actually available. (Imagine an age that we need verified mp3 pages! ) I shudder to think about it.

I urge everyone that runs across such a file to disable sharing of that file thru your "My K-Lite" screen... If you do not wish to delete the file and keep a yuk file to yourself, fine. (Me? I delete them&#33 It's very simple to not share a bogus file though..... From "my K-Lite", highlite the file, r-click, "stop sharing". Let's try to at least hinder such garbage that seems to hit us harder every day.

It seems they have truely found a way to clog us up.... Let's not help them do so, huh?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    yeah check your crap before you share it

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Thank god I don't have this problem anymore.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    id personally like to get my hands around the throats of a few users....
    g0d given the opportunity...drool drool

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    FC

Followed your advice. Direct Connect for music. Excellent for individual tracks.

I quite like the albumwraps, probably just the lazy bar steward in me. Haven't had any luck with them.

Cheers

JimF

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by JimF@15 February 2003 - 06:14
    FC

Followed your advice. Direct Connect for music. Excellent for individual tracks.

I quite like the albumwraps, probably just the lazy bar steward in me. Haven't had any luck with them.

Cheers

JimF
    I never said Direct Connect for music...don't get me wrong,Direct Connect is good...but it is for the big boys with lots of files.What I have always said is SoulSeek is the place for music...there is no other Peer-to-Peer program like it for music.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    I know, I tried soulseek but it appeared not to be working.

I am currently sharing 12Gb. I use K++, DC and eMule. I use common shared folders so the files are available in all of the systems.

I will try soulseek again if you recommend it.

Cheers

jimF

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    FC

What's this $5 / month "donation" ranygazoo all about. Is this a commercial operation.

Cheers

JimF

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by JimF@15 February 2003 - 07:58
    FC

What's this $5 / month "donation" ranygazoo all about. Is this a commercial operation.

Cheers

JimF
    With that $5 you get download privileges.A user has download privileged will usually have their files queued before those of users who do not have download privileged. That means that more often than not, your downloads will be pushed straight to the top of the upload queue.

But only a few members pay that...I don't...but if we had our own Peer-to-Peer network I surely would.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Thanks for that Martha

I'm giving it try just now. Obviously just started so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers

JimF

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast