Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copying Cd's To Hd

I also have this prob with My 52x Sony CD-rom drive......I use CD-DA Extractor to rip my cd's. It will rip at 4-6x with that drive. BUT I also have a Yamaha 16x10x40 and it rips at 10-14x with that drive. I don't know why but it's consistently faster. with every cd.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Ripping slower ensures better quality rips...
    the only ripper you should use is Exact Audio Copy. It's not as fast as others but it uses a secure mode to create an exact copy. That way it won't sound like shit. snap,crackle, pop mp3's...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    The reason your burner rips faster then your reader is because the most Burners work a bit better because of thier technology in the DAE (Digital Audio Extratraction) area.

BTW. If you harddrive is slow when uploading from a CD i suggest you use Nero CD Speed to check what speed it is actually running.

BenQ formally Acer a rather well known for having rather dodgy speeds when it comes to CD-Roms

(eg. says 50x runs at 8x)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I had that prob. with the cd reader. I just reloaded the driver on the device manager.

I have winXp home, if it helps try to rollback your ide and disk controllers.
    They will reconfigure back to spec. (hopefuly)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    TRshady
    Originally posted by njs12345@16 February 2003 - 14:24
    Just an Idea...
    You could also try defragging. That might help a bit.
    Defragging was and still is called 'speed-up' with many software titles (such as norton) but with the power and speed of todays pcs, defragging a hard-drive does very little.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Well, thx for some of the suggestions. Looks like i am gonna have to accept the fact that it aint so slow after all.

By y'all - keep the peace
    UKMan

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tilen76's Avatar Poster
    No, it's not slow at all, but you just might increase the speed by having the CD drive and HD drive on a separate IDE channels. HD on primary IDE channel and CD on the secondary IDE channel.

But I don't suggest you do just that. I would rather advice you to have the master HD (if you have more than 1) and CD drive on the primary IDE channel and the CD-RW on the secondary IDE channel, especially if you're doing direct (on-the-fly) copying of CDs.

Hell, it takes me to copy the CD to HD about 18 minutes. But my CD drive is old, TEAC 32x, and I haven't cleaned my system for a long time.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Looks to me you have memory-problems (328MB?)
    Are your memmodules really compatible >>check with benchmarktool
    for example sisoftsandra.
    Meanwhile get a free-memorytool I myself use Rampage it sits in systray
    and by doubleclicking it you free up extra memory(can also be automated)
    On Tucows you can find many such proggies as freeware.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Leech_Killer's Avatar Poster
    There's not anyway to increase your speed as it smiply down to your hardware not being able to run any faster. If your copying that many cd's a day I would suggest you upgrade some of your hardware. Ideally get a SCSI harddrive 10000rpm and a SCSI 52X CD-Rom, which'll give you a transfer rate ranging from 6750 - 7800 KB/sec across the entire disc. Unfortunatly you'll also have to change your motherboard.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Looks to me you have memory-problems (328MB?)
    328MB Ram is more than enough to rip cd's, I don't know what you're talking about.

Ideally get a SCSI harddrive 10000rpm and a SCSI 52X CD-Rom, which'll give you a transfer rate ranging from 6750 - 7800 KB/sec across the entire disc. Unfortunatly you'll also have to change your motherboard.
    2 Things wrong with this statement.

1. You don't NEED a new motherboard to set up an SCSI array. A simple SCSI controller card will do the trick. But you also need (expensive) SCSI hard drives.
    2. Contrary to popular belief, SCSI hardly has any speed advantages over IDE configurations. Most real-world speed advantages range from 5-10% MAX. Not worth the price of expensive SCSI arrays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast