Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help

Hi all,i am hoping some of you can help me out of this problem.

I have 2 hard drives a 40 gig and a 120 gig,yesterday i had a nightmare and i had to reformat my 40 gig drive and re install XP on it.Before i re formatted i had partitioned my 120 gig drive into 5 smaller drives that contained my music,warez and data.

Now i have re installed XP when i goto my 120 gig drive it waont let me access it,just says need to be formatted and gives me the option of doing that.Obviously i dont want to do that and loose all my data.

My question is,how can i access my 120 gig drive or have i lost what i had on there now?

Thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Lets make it clear you formatted your 40gig and then reinstalled Xp to it BUT left the 120 gig alone you didn't format that,you didn't re-partistion it before you did your 40.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    did you format al partitions before you formatted your 40gig? are all your partitions like this? did you check that they all worked before? what file system did you format them with? what program did you use to partition?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    cwctv Posted on 7 December 2003 - 12:11
      Lets make it clear you formatted your 40gig and then reinstalled Xp to it BUT left the 120 gig alone you didn't format that,you didn't re-partistion it before you did your 40.
    That is correct,did not touch my 120 gig drive.Just re formatted my 40 gig.

Kunal Posted on 7 December 2003 - 12:12
      did you format al partitions before you formatted your 40gig? are all your partitions like this? did you check that they all worked before? what file system did you format them with? what program did you use to partition? 
    Did not format all partitions,just 40 gig drive.All partitions have been working fine since i installed them.The partitions were formatted to NTFS.Used partition magic to do them.

Please help anyone.cheers.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Ok how many partitions (drives) do you have total.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I did have 5 partitions on my 120 gig drive(that i cannot access now) and none on my 40 gig.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Yes but how many are showing in Windows explorer or your My computer thats 40 &120 gig total.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by cwctv@7 December 2003 - 13:47
    Yes but how many are showing in Windows explorer or your My computer thats 40 &120 gig total.
    There is my 'c' drive that is 40 gig showing and my 'd' drive 120 gig is showing too.When i try and access my 120 gig it says that it needs to be formatted and my patitions are not there anymore.

I am puzzled.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    well if windows only shows one partition on your 120gig, thats all there is. sorry to tel you this but looks that youve lost your partitions and the data that was in them. a data recovary tool may work, but im not to sure

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Kunal@7 December 2003 - 15:08
    well if windows only shows one partition on your 120gig, thats all there is. sorry to tel you this but looks that youve lost your partitions and the data that was in them. a data recovary tool may work, but im not to sure
    I had a bad feeling that might be the case.

Can you suggest any data recovery tools that might be worth trying?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast