Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Principles Of Overclocking

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Recently I have noticed a growing interest/debate reverclocking.
    Some of the people who would like to try may benefit from a little backround and explanation of what exactly you are getting yourself into.

I found this article entertaining and informative and hope you do too.
    The Principles of Overclocking

Edit: do not be deceived by the title. This is not a tutorial, nor a "insert finger A into slot B" step by step manual. It is more about the philosophy and reasoning behind the act of clocking than anything else. The specific facts regarding your specific rig are easily findable on the web. Frankly ( and I do not mean to be harsh or snobbish here, merely cautionary) if you can't find the info on your own, you are not ready to begin the process. Almost inevitably, at some point you will be in uncharted waters, and the ability to think/reason for yourself will be all that separates you from having a sweet running machine or a rather expensive doorstop.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    nice post hope the ppl read it and dunt ask questions like "what is overclocking?"

My Blog
    I'm still here.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by clocker@10 December 2003 - 02:47
    Frankly ( and I do not mean to be harsh or snobbish here, merely cautionary) if you can't find the info on your own, you are not ready to begin the process. Almost inevitably, at some point you will be in uncharted waters, and the ability to think/reason for yourself will be all that separates you from having a sweet running machine or a rather expensive doorstop.
    true

the link isn't working for me just now, not sure why
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+10 December 2003 - 00:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 10 December 2003 - 00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> the link isn&#39;t working for me just now, not sure why [/b]

Yeh, same here, link not working for me either.

<!--QuoteBegin-clocker
    @10 December 2003 - 02:47
    Almost inevitably, at some point you will be in uncharted waters, and the ability to think/reason for yourself will be all that separates you from having a sweet running machine or a rather expensive doorstop. [/quote]

Yes, becuase a molten cpu makes me
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    well, directing noobs to www.overclockers.com would have also worked... they get a forum and articles combo for the same low price of free. lol

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@10 December 2003 - 00:21
    well, directing noobs to www.overclockers.com would have also worked... they get a forum and articles combo for the same low price of free. lol
    That illustrates my cautionary point exactly, Abu.

If one were at all serious about clocking their PC the first step should be to enter "overclocking" into Google and then research every site that comes up.
    Obviously, Overclockers.com is a prime source of information.
    All too often it is apparent that even the most rudimentary steps have not been taken.
    If a person does not know how to reset CMOS ( or even know what it is) or how to enter into, and what do alter once in, BIOS, then they have a lot of homework to do.
    Furthermore, I sense a great misunderstanding of the basic nature of overclocking.
    The perception seems to be that it is a magic process that will somehow turn your mid-grade machine into a top-of-the-line firebreather.
    There is a price to pay for any performance gain.
    Be it heat or instability or reduced component life...you never get something for nothing.
    I have enjoyed my learning process and would like to share it with others.
    I would simply prefer that they begin with eyes wide open.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    I always find that before I overclock a chip, I like to search the net,
    for the same cpu I&#39;m using, (as well as same Mobo and size case if possible) find what other&#39;s have overclocked it to, what heat temps they’re getting, what type of cooling there using. I find it very usefully to know this information. You should always try to learn all you can before you start, better to be safe than sorry.

I was really looking forward to reading this article though, first page worked fine, then as I continued on, it just died on me, guess I try it again later.
    Nice post though, clocker.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    What&#39;s overclocking?

OK, OK... joke.

Actually, I was reading somwhere that MSI are about to release some motherboard that returns the clock speed back to normal when not needed, which sounds interesting. Anyone know about these mobo&#39;s?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    ur such a lucky bastard clocker. if i posted this, i&#39;d have a pined topic too. arg. oh well. we&#39;re still cool

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I hear the easiest thing to OC is a 2500 XP 11X200...seems good to me nice topic as usual clocker.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast