Thread: Downloading Seperate Files With Bittorrent

Well, it's time to begin fill up this section with some tips

A lot of people must have encountered the situation that you are collecting a series (TV, pics, comics, anime, whatever) and you only need one or a few files from a multi-file torrent to complete it.

Normally you would need to download the whole torrent or substitute the files from the torrent with your own (with obvious problems of the files having to be exactly the same).

However you can use the BT client Azureus to select files from a torrent you want to download.
    When you start a torrent with Azureus you can select the 'Files' tab in the download window:

Now select the files you DO NOT want, right-click, go to 'Set Priority' and choose 'do not download'.

Warning: The client doesn't remember the priority settings after a restart, so you need to re-prioritize when Azureus restarts.
    Warning2: It seems that there is some incompatibility between the file-checking of Azureus and other clients. Consequently Azureus may not resume torrents at the percentage you reached with another client
    Can't remember a movie's name? Ask help at MovieWorld's Lost & Found

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    i posted a simpl way for exact work and i was 1st to do it 17:08 was mine and ur 17:11

Nice work

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Nope, it's not the same.

Normally you would need to download the whole torrent or substitute the files from the torrent with your own (with obvious problems of the files having to be exactly the same).
    For your tip to work you need to have the exact same file. If that's not the case Bittorrent will overwrite your data.
    My tip is more flexible as you can select which files you want to download.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    muchspl2
    good work

I need this, I have been messing around with news gourps and you don't always get the complete file, like cd2/cd3/cd4 and other wise you would have to do allot of work to just download the first cd

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    UPnP NAT Bit Torrent Client also supports this nice feature.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Then please show us how, so that everybody can benefit from it!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    muchspl2
    can you specify individual files ie rar's, or is it only folders ?

tia

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    this method doesnt seem to work with partial dloaded files, using another client..
    i was dloading poltergeist 1,2&3 with 5 files in the actual dload..when i got this client to resume the dload on one of the files only, it showed it at 0% when i know for sure the file is at least 75% done...can anyone confirm this? maybe ive done something wrong...id like to get it to do this type of thing for future dloads..

EDIT:
    well ive worked my problem out, it seems the azureus bt client is a different version than the shadows bt client i usually use and therefore wont resume a dload from shadows but will only restart the dload from zero..other than that this program works well....it just has too much STUFF.....

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Originally posted by NotoriousBIC@13 December 2003 - 05:17
    Then please show us how, so that everybody can benefit from it!
    Sorry, BIC, completely forgot about this thread.
    It works exactly as in Azareus, you just should open Details and than select do not download, normal or high priority.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    oo that could come in handy