Thread: Help! I Removed Norton Manually.

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I've tried removing Norton from my PC(ME) by using add/remove programs. It didn't work. I finally went into program files and deleted the Symantic file. Now I get all sorts of pop-up errors and I'm scared to death of playing with the shared files. I run McAfee now and would like to totally remove Norton but I'm stuck. Help!
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    uninstall your macafee and any thing of the sort Then reinstall norton and uninstall
    Norton has to be uninstalled before you install macafee or vise versa

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

If what NTWEAK suggests does not work, check out the above link for a walkthrough on removing your particular Norton product. Again, you should uninstall Mcafee before you try this.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    First of all you must learn that:

YOU CAN NEVER TRUELY REMOVE ANY SYMANTEC APPLICATION THROUGH "ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS".

That said, the only "safe" manner in which to do so, is to insert your application's CD or run the set-up files once again. The set-up files will detect that you currently have the product installed and offer you the option of "removing" or "completely uninstalling" all of it's components.

In your case, I would disable any anti-virus software you are currently running and INSTALL your Norton application. You can safely write-over Norton programs without having to uninstall anything before you do so, so long as it is the same program (i.e. you can install NAV2004 directly over a damaged NAV2004 but not install say NAV2004 over NAV2003). Afterwards, reboot and run the set-up files again and choose to "completely remove/uninstall" all components. Remember to reboot each time your system suggests you to.