Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Prime Number

dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    source

A new prime number was found. The interesting thing is how it was found. I guess there is a program that makes peoples computers work together to make a super computer. Apparently, This group of computers can do in one day what it would take 1 regular computer to do in 7 years (That's what my brother told me anyways). I thought that was kinda cool. Oh...and if your computer help discovers a new primenumber (over 10 million digits) there is a $100,000 reward. If you split that up between the users, it's about $5000 a peice.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    I guess nobody cares about a new prime number. Well you should, this will change life as we know it......or not.

BTW, I guess my brother was wrong. It was only 4 mill digits long.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    It's interesting. Especially if it takes science closer to unbreakable encryption and whatnot.

If all users on this forum got together I figure we could make a few p's each(finding a new prime I mean).
    Maybe even a £ or two

Or $

(yay, I got to use symbols I hardly ever use! )

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by dwightfry@12 December 2003 - 12:08
    source

A new prime number was found. The interesting thing is how it was found. I guess there is a program that makes peoples computers work together to make a super computer. Apparently, This group of computers can do in one day what it would take 1 regular computer to do in 7 years (That's what my brother told me anyways). I thought that was kinda cool. Oh...and if your computer help discovers a new primenumber (over 10 million digits) there is a $100,000 reward. If you split that up between the users, it's about $5000 a peice.
    Great, I am so pleased...I have been trying to work it out for years; now what was it again?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Not just any prime number, but a Mersenne prime number too! B)

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Its magic baby!
    common guys quit it with the prime number crap

Quantum mechanics is much more interesting

Wiz.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by SnnY@12 December 2003 - 15:22
    It's interesting. Especially if it takes science closer to unbreakable encryption and whatnot.
    is it really a good thing to break so called unbreakable encryption reliant on prime numbers?

how would world security be then?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+12 December 2003 - 21:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 12 December 2003 - 21:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SnnY@12 December 2003 - 15:22
    It&#39;s interesting. Especially if it takes science closer to unbreakable encryption and whatnot.
    is it really a good thing to break so called unbreakable encryption reliant on prime numbers?

how would world security be then? [/b][/quote]
    And I daresay it&#39;s the insight gathered from finding these primes that can be used for better encryption, rather than the actual prime-numbers themselves, that will be useful for better encryption. From what I can understand.

Until someone creates a usable form of quantuum-encryption, current forms of encryption could benefit from being enhanced in any way possible.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Double Agent
    great, precious cpu resources put to compute some crap numba when it can be used to play counterstrike

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Revolution with Quantum computers is believed to change the way we calculate and get Prime numbers, factorials and do encryption. With Quantum states, the worst case Complexity is of order 1 O(1). So no matter how big a prime number is or how big encryption it is, everything will be calculated at the same time. The only delay would be when you try to access that which will be mere anything as compared to present.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast