Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data Transfur Thru Networking

my m8 has a 21mb file that i need on my pc and we are networked. when ever i go onto his pc and and simply tryu and move the file to myu hard drive the pc just restarts str8 away. and if i try and drag the file from his pc to mine my pc bombs out and says not accessable or some sh!t like that.

msn was taking ages. 2 hours for 15mb on a broandband connection and then it suddenly restarded (m8's pc not mine, cause the connection to fail)

are there any other ways of transfuring data.

PS he dont have a cd writer

any help wod b much apreciated(sp?) thnx

btw im hoping (sp?)means spelling mistake

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    how are your pc's connected and what os's are being used. is it just this file that causes your pc to crash.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    no all files do it. um tru a router and cat5(i think) cable. both win xp pro

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    and in relity i dont wanna and cant muck around with all the cables and connections cause i dunno a thing about networking. i just wanna know if im doing something wrong or if i can do something on the pc to make it work or do it a different way.

thnx

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Is the folder the file is in shared? (right click on folder>properties>share>share this folder), if not try it, you may have to config your OS for a network connection first time too, but it sounds like this is done.

And do either of you have a software-based firewall, if you do, try turning it/them off, it should speed up the transfer.

Have you tried opening up ports on your router?, if it's a firewall combo.

Otherwise try updating the drivers for your network cards.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    if all else fail, ther always the ooption on sending it via aim

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i have a real problem with my firewall/router im always having sh!t like this. i cant use bittorent cause of it. bloody socks5. anyway yes it is shared no software based firewall but whatever my router is doig. can only open ports 1080 and 4480 (kazaa lite and msn are the only things that work as far as i know) btw i have idea about networking and sh!t./ i even got a guy to network everything for us. for some reason it took 2 hours to send 15mb's and then failed 15mb's! for 600k broadband!!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Made a Dp

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    When you did that test, was it within your network at home? If so the connection ought to be 100 Mbit one, a 10 Mbit one or a gigaBit one. 15MB should pass through under a minute. Maybe you had something incoming from an outside source, were you connected to the internet?

Have you tried getting a cross-connected cable and connected the computers directly, bypassing the router? that should show you whether it's the router that's acting up. What brand is it btw?

Have you checked the inbuilt firewall in WinXP?(yes, there is one), if that's turned on it might be the culprit.

Have you turned any modules off in XP?, to get get more free Ram or something like it, if so try setting everything back to default.

Have you any other progams that connects to the internet, like automatic AV upgrades, or some other automatic upgrades? turn those off if so, in fact turn as many programs off as possible, before doing a transfer, especially any that may want an open connection for some reason.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by SnnY@10 December 2003 - 23:09
    When you did that test, was it within your network at home? If so the connection ought to be 100 Mbit one, a 10 Mbit one or a gigaBit one. 15MB should pass through under a minute. Maybe you had something incoming from an outside source, were you connected to the internet?

Have you tried getting a cross-connected cable and connected the computers directly, bypassing the router? that should show you whether it's the router that's acting up. What brand is it btw?

Have you checked the inbuilt firewall in WinXP?(yes, there is one), if that's turned on it might be the culprit.

Have you turned any modules off in XP?, to get get more free Ram or something like it, if so try setting everything back to default.

Have you any other progams that connects to the internet, like automatic AV upgrades, or some other automatic upgrades? turn those off if so, in fact turn as many programs off as possible, before doing a transfer, especially any that may want an open connection for some reason.
    the winxp firewall is off. yeah i did it at home. i was on msn and klazaa but kazaa wasnt doing much andyeah i was on a few webpages.

yeah it is a 100 connection thingy.

and like i sed i dont wanna fuck around with the cables cause i got a man to do it and i no jack sh!t about that crap.

i have 512mb's ram and i wasnt doing anything demanding.
    my m8's pc has 256 and his was using bittorent ands thats it

thnx for all the replys so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast