Thread: Two Hard Drives

I just installed a new hard drive formy master drive. I kept my first hard drive for my slave. My question is now that I have 2 hard drives, will I have two registrys? Or will I have only one?
    If I install something on my slave, will I have to go into my slave drive to use it?

Also- How can I run 2 operating systems? I have Windows XP but the only time I can access my slave hard drive, I have to click on C drive to access the files.

Please help me with this!

Thank you in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    2 Registries, No, the registry is only in the operating system partition, if you install another HD , windows should detect it and assign it a drive letter, i think i'm not 100%sure here, I have 2 operating ststems but
    i have one HD and it's partitioned for Linux and XP-Pro ,If i had 2 Hd i would have one HD partitioned for Multiple Operating systems and use the other Letter agginged HD as a stationary drive for Kazaa downloads Ect. that way if something goes wrong with your OS you need only to format that partition and you save all your data, i would also reccomend Partition Magic 8.0.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks for the info. How would I go about creating a new partition so I can install another OS?

Also, if my slave hard drive is inactive- will it shut off? It makes a constant buzzing sound. If yes, where would I go to set the inactive time?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I run TWO operating systems! It is easy!

You have to empty and clean up your hard drives. Unpartition them.

Start by installing Windows98 as normal.

After Windows98 is installed to your liking, use the other hard drive for WindowsXP. MAKE SURE that hard drive is NOT partitioned.

Install XP as normal (booting first from the CDROM, not the Win98 hard drive), direct XP to install on to the unpartitioned space (use NTFS it is faster than FAT32). XP will do the rest!

When everything is completed, you will notice that when starting your, you will see an option for booting. It will be "WindowsXP" or "Windows". If you do nothing, XP will load, but if you choose "Windows", then Windows98 will load.

---------

Use Windows98 STARTUP disk to unpartition or partition. Use the program on it called FDISK.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Spindulik@6 March 2003 - 13:37
    I run TWO operating systems! It is easy!

You have to empty and clean up your hard drives. Unpartition them.

Start by installing Windows98 as normal.

After Windows98 is installed to your liking, use the other hard drive for WindowsXP. MAKE SURE that hard drive is NOT partitioned.

Install XP as normal (booting first from the CDROM, not the Win98 hard drive), direct XP to install on to the unpartitioned space (use NTFS it is faster than FAT32). XP will do the rest!

When everything is completed, you will notice that when starting your, you will see an option for booting. It will be "WindowsXP" or "Windows". If you do nothing, XP will load, but if you choose "Windows", then Windows98 will load.

---------

Use Windows98 STARTUP disk to unpartition or partition. Use the program on it called FDISK.
    Thanks for the info.
    Let me ask you this, when I select the OS I want to run, and I start working in it then for whatever reason I want to switch to the other, will I need to re-boot my PC then select the other OS?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Out of The Ordinary
    @Yanks0826

As far as I know yes.
    Good luck Yanks0826!

BOT

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by [B][O][T]@6 March 2003 - 15:46
    @Yanks0826

As far as I know yes.
    Good luck Yanks0826!

BOT
    Thanks dude!!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Lord of the KLF
    You could do wot i do, have a quick swap drive bay and just switch over the hard drive with a different os on it, and then have one permanent hard drive for files u want to be accessed from both os's but that would mean 3 hardrives u gotta buy so.......