Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000 Vs. 98

Poster
    My old 433 MHz Celeron was running on Windows XP and experienced no problems. Of course, i had to change some preformance settings (like disabling smooth edges of fonts, shadows and so on). But it wasn't any slower than Win 98 (except the boot time).

Edit: Windows 2000 is much better then 98!!!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    2000 will run fine on 96 mb ram and a 500mgh CPU

IF you leave SP4 out of it. Just go with SP3 and the blaster patch and sift through any other critical updates.

SP4 will bog down even the best machine when it fucks up.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Originally posted by DWk@11 December 2003 - 22:32
    ah ok LOL...didnt read that.... k then i think 2k is the way to go

balamm said: "IF you leave SP4 out of it. Just go with SP3 and the blaster patch and sift through any other critical updates"
    You didnt read it because i didnt post my specs for this PC.

And to respond to balamm.

Excuse my ignorance but can you chose what service pack you want when you go to the MS update page. i just scan for updates and take critical.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    Aviod MS update like the plague!!! You can choose what you want at the MS download center.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search....?displaylang=en

Search by OS or product. Download everything you need before you do the install so that your new OS isn't hacked or corrupted before/during updating.

The less you leave up to windows update and their activex crap, the better your system will be.

Grab directX, Windows media player and any service packs you want first. Then look through the list by OS and see what other essentials they list.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by Kunal+11 December 2003 - 22:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kunal @ 11 December 2003 - 22:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-camille@11 December 2003 - 14:18
    98 is better than 2000 for me.
    did you use the NTFS file system with win 2k? did you do a clean install? if not i think you try it, win 2k is a very stable os [/b][/quote]
    I didn&#39;t use NTFS (New Technology File System) in fact I&#39;m contented with my OS not SE.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Before I switched to XP Pro Corporate I did a little searching on XP and read somewhere that M&#036; took the &#39;best ideas&#39; of 98SE and 2000 and combined them to get the &#39;base&#39; for Windows XP.
    I preferred 2000 over 98se, I wouldn&#39;t even consider using 98.
    If you are running 98 or 98SE I would recommend using the defrag off of Windows ME as it is 4X faster than the 98 defrag.

Edit: Try them all and stick with the one that works best for you and your system.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Global Media Trader@11 December 2003 - 15:45
    You didnt read it because i didnt post my specs for this PC.
    of course thats what im saying

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Originally posted by balamm@11 December 2003 - 17:10
    Aviod MS update like the plague&#33;&#33;&#33; You can choose what you want at the MS download center.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search....?displaylang=en

Search by OS or product. Download everything you need before you do the install so that your new OS isn&#39;t hacked or corrupted before/during updating.

The less you leave up to windows update and their activex crap, the better your system will be.

Grab directX, Windows media player and any service packs you want first. Then look through the list by OS and see what other essentials they list.
    Excellent. i did not know this page existed. took 4 years on the net

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Now all i have to do it find a clean version of 2000 with out the service packs included. all the ones on sharereactor have SPs

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    post removed, hash had cd key in filename.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast