Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Kids Are Alright

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by SnnY+11 December 2003 - 22:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 11 December 2003 - 22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@11 December 2003 - 23:50
    Just for a wee laugh mrlessk, I ran you post through a spell/grammar checker. All I can say is, I haven&#39;t laughed so many since I was a children at grammar school.
    I bet it was ten times nicer with regards to the grammar than any of my Uni-teachers would be [/b][/quote]
    Actually Snny, Mrlessk is right. I remember sitting in the Uni, I went to Uni late in life by the way, the lecturer could not even spell. When I was at school, every single day you had spelling and arithmetic memory tests. Obviously I missed those.

Any spelling errors in this post are due to the age of the keyboard.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Maybe it&#39;s an English thing then or something, &#39;cuz my bloody teachers can find fault in anything, they might not be able to speak the lingo all of them but they can find errors however long I&#39;ve been working on something , most of them have doctored in a language or two.

Not so sure about grade-school teachers, a bunch of plonkers as far as I can remember.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Originally posted by SnnY@11 December 2003 - 23:14
    Maybe it&#39;s an English thing then or something, &#39;cuz my bloody teachers can find fault in anything, they might not be able to speak the lingo all of them but they can find errors however long I&#39;ve been working on something , most of them have doctored in a language or two.

Not so sure about grade-school teachers, a bunch of plonkers as far as I can remember.
    English is the most difficult subject at school. A lot of it is subjective. What is OK for one teacher is wrong for another. If you are doing a critique on a book or essay they will find fault. Even if you went to the author and asked him/her what they meant. Is this the pot calling the kettle black.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I was referring to grammar and spelling, but the rest is as you say. It does seem subjective, but I have to say that I&#39;ve never caught my current teachers making mistakes when it comes to spelling or grammar.

The closest I&#39;ve come is to note that they have atrocious hand-writing, at times reading their damn corrections can be absolutely mind-boggling, sometimes I&#39;ve noted a score of possible ways to decipher one little word.

EDit: clarity, spelling

5. Lounge   -   #25
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab@11 December 2003 - 13:50
    Just for a wee laugh mrlessk, I ran you post through a spell/grammar checker. All I can say is, I haven&#39;t laughed so many since I was a children at grammar school.
    Have another "wee" laugh bigboab. Run yours through the same spell/grammar checker. You&#39;ll find more mistakes in your two sentences then in the whole of mine.
    Thanks for proving my point.
    "He who lives in a glass house shouldn&#39;t throw stones" surely applies here.

to, too..........Who gives a crap? Everyone knew what I meant.
    Indeed&#33; Who does give a crap?
    mrlessk

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Originally posted by mrlessk+11 December 2003 - 23:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrlessk &#064; 11 December 2003 - 23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@11 December 2003 - 13:50
    Have another "wee" laugh bigboab. Run yours through the same spell/grammar checker. You&#39;ll find more mistakes in your two sentences then in the whole of mine.
    Thanks for proving my point.
    "He who lives in a glass house shouldn&#39;t throw stones" surely applies here.

to, too..........Who gives a crap? Everyone knew what I meant.
    Indeed&#33; Who does give a crap?
    mrlessk [/b][/quote]
    I am not putting myself on the pedestal. I also point out that it was jocular. As you say he who lives in a glass house.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab@11 December 2003 - 14:56

I am not putting myself on the pedestal. I also point out that it was jocular. As you say he who lives in a glass house.
    Understood and peace bigboab. :beerchug:

I never meant to present myself as an authority on the English language. As you discovered and aptly pointed out, I am certainly not without my faults either. Just wanted to opine about the subject of kids today.

If there is one "kid" who read this thread and even saw the distinction between those two words "to" and "too" and might remember the correct one the next time they include them in a sentence then I have had a great day and all the wrath heaped upon me would be worth it.

Have a good day&#33;
    mrlessk :newyear:

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Originally posted by mrlessk@12 December 2003 - 00:16
    Understood and peace bigboab. :beerchug:

I&#39;ll drink to that :beerchug:
    I completely understand your point. I have a bit of experience in this subject. It would take too long to explain. Pointless too. I blame the authorities not the children.

9. Lounge   -   #29

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    No, I agree. Spelling is important. It should happen more people correct each others mistakes on here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast