Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharing

I have been a member of ALL the P2P file sharing outlets on/off over the past 4 years and I think that this ongoing problem is getting worse. SOON there will be no downloads available due to the paranoid attitude of most members. Over the years I have had anywhere from 2500 at a high to 50 at a low depending on whether I've crashed and burned and lost everything. When in a rebuilding time as I am now, I just cannot believe the number of people who are uploading from me and not sharing. (almost always 99% no results shown)

Pretty sad, people, and I know what all the 'bleeding hearts' out there that will say that I'm just another whiner about not going with the flow but, dammit, the name of the game is P 2 P and if noone is going to share then it will all just collapse one day. :pirate:

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Double Agent
    no shit,

in the past i was able to download 4 to 1 upload

now it's 1 to 1 or worse.

sometimes i get no downloads at all.

time to head back to irc channels

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Alot of people have the option turned off to where you cant see their list of files......

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    SOON there will be no downloads available due to the paranoid attitude of most members.
    I dont think its paranoia, i get the feeling its just people being greedy, most people want something without giving anything back. Things have definitely changed for the worse over the last few years, four or five years ago if i started a download on napster id normally get a message from whoever i was downloading from about the track, what other songs they would recommend, and that sort of thing. It isnt just a nostalgic lookback either, there genuinely was a sense of community amongst P2P users and that to me was what kept the sharing ethos so strong. In the year ive been using Kazaa i cant remember getting any messages from users or that feeling of being part of "something." It wont be any authority that kills P2P it'll be the users.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I get the impression that the average Kazaa user just wants to download music, and doesn't really think about the fact that they're downloading from other users.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by DasScoot@4 October 2003 - 18:07
    I get the impression that the average Kazaa user just wants to download music, and doesn't really think about the fact that they're downloading from other users.
    Kinda the reply I got back from one:

So what if I don't share?
    Come on! It's just an MP3, not like it's a big file or anything.
    You blow things way out of proportion.

(Actually, in my case it was a >120 MB anime tv show... and I don't take too lightly to someone tying up MY upload bandwidth for potentially hours on end and giving nothing in return to ANYONE.)

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by murphyleesdad@4 October 2003 - 15:37
    Over the years I have had anywhere from 2500 at a high to 50 at a low depending on whether I've crashed and burned and lost everything.  When in a rebuilding time as I am now,
    Your fault for not backing your files up.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I sympathize, it happens to everyone.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    I agree people are just greedy and now people are telling them that they won't be sued for thousands of dollars like that 12 year old girl if they only download but will if they share files with others so this has scared even more people into turning off the share facility in Kazaa which is disapointing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast