Thread: Upgrade From Xp Home To Pro?

So lets just say I have a friend who bought a new computer with XP home. When he first turned on his new PC he filled out all of the user information that the OS asks honestly.

Then this friend’s life turned to crime and drugs, before long he was downloading pirated software off the Internet. One night after being in a long ether induced stupor he installed a pirated version of XP pro on his computer.

He chose the upgrade option instead of the clean install. So now his pirate XP Pro knows his real name and whatever other good stuff gets link to your user registration when you step up a windows OS honestly, and forthrightly.

His XP Pro has requested to download updates. I told him that he probably doesn't want to do that.

If the serial that he used to launch XP is found to be "invalid" at some time in the future would I, err I mean my friend be "screwed"? Oh what bad that happens to people who get caught for using pirated programs.

If he doesn't allow XP to download the updates will he be safe.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    If you ..er..I mean your friend has XP Pro w/sp1 they dont need any updates B)

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Originally posted by ZaZu@12 December 2003 - 22:55
    If you ..er..I mean your friend has XP Pro w/sp1 they dont need any updates B)
    actually there have been a lot of security updates since SP1

i'm not sure how Windows Update deals with pirated keys, but if you had the Corporate version (which you can find in Lamsey's pinned topic in the verifieds) you can update fine
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    He does not believe that it is the corperate SP1 version.

He was not able to find the version Lamsy had posted.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Just wanted to add, that new Microsoft update hotfixes has hundred's of problems. So I would recommend not updating directly from Microsoft. If you are aware of some security hole just get it from somewhere else but not through autoupdate.

Edit: And if you do an update with a pirated serial your computer wont bootup after it restarts. You can do a system restore through safe mode to fix it. if its a very common serial and Microsoft is after it then there could be problems.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Just download "windowsxp key recoverer and discoverer"- to get a new serial, and "magical jelly bean keyfinder" - to change key, and you wont have to worry about microsoft finding out you, i mean your friend, has a pirated copy. You will be able to download updates and service packs without any probs.
    Robert00000

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    @Robert, I had both the softwares but never tested. I tried them out couple of mins ago. They look pretty interesting.

The only thing is, I found the key through WindowsXP key recoverer and tested it and it said its valid. Next I tried changing through jellybean key finder and got an error saying the error occured as it probably is an invalid key.&#33;
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by I.am@13 December 2003 - 02:14
    @Robert, I had both the softwares but never tested. I tried them out couple of mins ago. They look pretty interesting.

The only thing is, I found the key through WindowsXP key recoverer and tested it and it said its valid. Next I tried changing through jellybean key finder and got an error saying the error occured as it probably is an invalid key.&#33;
    You will find some keys wont work even if recoverer and discoverer says its valid, so what you should do is make about 3 keys, so at least one will work.

You should also make sure you are generating the keys for the correct version of xp. There is a diference between Pro and Corp versions, even though they are exactly the same in appearance. You should find out which version of XP you have.

Windows XP corp has the Windows Pro logo, so it can be confusing. If windows asks you to activate then it is Pro, otherwise its Corp.
    Robert00000

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Yup, I know the difference between Pro and corp

I guess I will try generating 3-4 keys like you said and try it out.

Thanks.