Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did You?

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    mentally defective finatics that are bent on destruction
    Sounds like Bush.

Oh, and for a History proffesor...maybe you should read some books.

British decared War on Germany when they invaded Poland, not France.

USA sold arms to both sides untill Pearl Harbour, at which time it decalred War on Germany, if Britain would declare war on Japan...as then the Autralia, India etc would all be fighting Japan too.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. Lounge   -   #32
    How is demonstrating against war making war more likely? Because Saddam thinks he has global support? What difference does that make? The worst Saddam could do is refuse inspections because he thinks he has support from foreign countries, and that wouldn't make any difference because Bush has already declared he'll "go it alone" if all else fails. Its no use looking for scapegoats here - this war was inevitable from the day Bush declared it.

"If they know we will come after them then they will run out of places to hide" - does it look that way? really? There is no way you can eradicate terrorism; it is a monster begot upon itself, born on itself. I couldn't begin to speculate how to combat the recent rise in terrorism, but it is clear Bush's strategy willl only exacerbate the situation, and will ultimately lead to a Big Brother state where the rights and freedoms of the individual are foregone in favour of the 'integrity' and 'safety' of the country.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Poster
    I'm sorry but I think the rationale of my earler posts is very simple. It is also the considered opinion of at least some commentators in the middle east. Local commentators.

the point is that the diplomatic solution only has any chance of success when the dictator sees it as his best option to keep power. The diplomats often rely on the "big stick" they just get someone else to brandish it.

As you have weakened the big stick you have weakened the position of the diplomatic solution. Making war more likely.

I know I am wasting my time trying to reason with you. I suspect that in real life conversation someone else speaking is little more than a convenient opportunity for you to think what you will say next.

Let me make this perfectly clear. I do not want war, I do not support those who want war. However your action, in my opinion, have made it more likely.

Cheers

JimF

PS As I said before ask the Kurds what they think, or the Jews what they thought during the second world war. Or a great number of other peoples.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Sorry, what was that? too busy concentrating on an answer

Honestly, I apologise if I misunderstood you, but I can see your point. It just seems to me that no amount of diplomacy, whether it is in the interests of the dictator or not, is going to avert this war. Nor will any protesting (which is partly why I didn't attend the march in London). Anyway, thanks for your time - much appreciated.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Originally posted by nincompoop@16 February 2003 - 11:13

my point being: write in english or donīt write at all...otherwise this forum will soon be fucked-up

All non english speaking people in this forum write in english although for some like me it gets rather difficult, but still we try to do our best. It is hard to express in a language that is not yours. I wish you english speaking people could show a bit more of appreciation instead of unrespectfull sentences like the one I quoted.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Poster
    You really think public opinion will count for anything when it comes to the actions of our governments? We are not the ones in power, they let us have whatever voice suits them for whatever purpose, usually to keep us subdued. Like it matters the action we take. Read the papers, look at the news, get confused, panic, it's all forms of propaganda. You just need to know the difference between right and wrong. Since when has killing been right?

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Originally posted by khhora+16 February 2003 - 15:55--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (khhora @ 16 February 2003 - 15:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nincompoop@16 February 2003 - 11:13

my point being: write in english or donīt write at all...otherwise this forum will soon be fucked-up

All non english speaking people in this forum write in english although for some like me it gets rather difficult, but still we try to do our best. It is hard to express in a language that is not yours. I wish you english speaking people could show a bit more of appreciation instead of unrespectfull sentences like the one I quoted. [/b][/quote]
    Well Iīm not english.. in fact english language was the 3. language I learned...but even so it can be difficult as you write...I still write in here with misspelling and all....better to misspell and at least be understood..than write spanish, danish or whatever language and have people not understanding anything of what you write....If we all start typing in different languages and dialects this forum will shurely die

8. Lounge   -   #38
    jetje's Avatar former star
    I miss the most important issue on demonstrating. As I believe most of us are from pretty democratic countries. Demonstrations are the best way to show the politicians that they don&#39;t have the backup from the people they say they&#39;re presenting. It is the best way for people who like peace to show this war is wrong.
    I haven&#39;t seen that many people go to a demonstration in favor of War. We actually like to something against it. And show our disbelieve in the decission makers about this.

No we&#39;re not giving Saddam hopes, we give the Iraqi people hope that they don&#39;t get bombed. But my guess is that Bush & Co aren&#39;t that democratic in these matters.

Yes i have demonstarted. The least i could do

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    This is a pointless argument.......because both sides are right.

The demonstartaions may well have the effect that JimF has said, ie make Hussain dig his heels in more.

However as he&#39;ll get attacked by the US/UK no matter what he does, I dont think this makes War more unlikely....its alreeady a dead cert. Try putting a bet at the bookies.

Demonstration is the way that we can show the Government what we are feeling.

However, again this is not going to change the mind of a Government that has already decided what it wants...ie US/UK. It MAY, make the ones &#39;Sitting on the Fence&#39; decide.

Oh, and an American on another Forum just proudly told me that USA is not a &#39;Democracy&#39; its a &#39;Republic&#39;....as such, he doesnt give a fuck what the majority of any people want.

You may guess from this he leans slightly to the Right on political issues...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. Lounge   -   #40
    tilen76's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@17 February 2003 - 12:37
    You may guess from this he leans slightly to the Right on political issues...
    Slightly to the right? Let us be honest, all the way to the right.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast