Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Little Problem

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Ok I have like 40GB of stuff I want to back up and I need to reformat to use my HDD on my new computer. All I have is a CD burner and that would take like 70CDs and DAYS and DAYS and DAYS. Is there any other method of backing up my media to put onto my new computer...
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    buy a dvd burner

other than that no..unless..

your on a network, like another comp, since i have a small hdd, i use my bros laptop for temp storage..of course he doesnt kno yet

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    muchspl2
    back up enough to partition the drive

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    The easiest method that I can think of would be to partition your old drive and move all the stuff you want to save to the new partition.
    Then you can format/install Windows on C:drive without affecting the other partitions.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by clocker@14 December 2003 - 11:39
    The easiest method that I can think of would be to partition your old drive and move all the stuff you want to save to the new partition.
    Then you can format/install Windows on C:drive without affecting the other partitions.
    Good Idea..I dont really know how to partition..I dont like it I like to have everything on one part cuz I heard it runs faster...but it dont really matter to me. Also could I just take my HDD and put my stuff on a friends comp, then reformat my drive and put it back in his comp and copy the stuff back to my HDD with the new drivers and O/S installed for my new system?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Using Partition Magic the process is very simple, and IMO, almost idiot proof.
    After all, I figured it out.
    A further advantage of this is if, down the road, you encounter problems with Windows ( like that ever happens&#33, all your files are safe and secure in a separate space.
    Obviously, this does not protect you from a HDD failure, only a software prob...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+14 December 2003 - 16:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx &#064; 14 December 2003 - 16:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@14 December 2003 - 11:39
    Good Idea..I dont really know how to partition..I dont like it I like to have everything on one part cuz I heard it runs faster...but it dont really matter to me. Also could I just take my HDD and put my stuff on a friends comp, then reformat my drive and put it back in his comp and copy the stuff back to my HDD with the new drivers and O/S installed for my new system? [/b][/quote]
    Two or more partitions is just as fast, and often safer than one partition. It is dangerous to fill your system partition, so I always create two (or more) partitions, keeping the first just for the system and using the other(s) for data, especially downloads. Edit: this would be an ideal time to implement that sort of arrangement.

You can certainly install your drive into your friends machine for a short time. Configure it as either the slave drive on the primary ide channel, or if you don&#39;t want to mess with the jumpers simply connect it as the master drive on the secondary ide channel. Then proceed exactly as you&#39;ve suggested.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Allright guys thanks for all of your help&#33;&#33; I think I want to create 2 partitions and have all of my data on one and my windows stuff on the other...DIRECTIONS NEEDED&#33; lol Will I have to delete windows from the one partition where I have all of my data and then install it on the other partition..Im guessing the other partition just for windows will be very small..What about all of my program files..I want to get rid of all of those also when I install this HDD on my new system so the basic layout would be as follows:

Partition 1- Windows XP Pro SP1

Partition 2- All of my media (movies, mp3s, etc etc)

Where would all of my program files be and stuff..like when I click on my Local C: drive under my computer and it shows all of those folders..which partition would that be on?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Bu Bu Bu BUMP

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Dawg,
    All you need to do is create another partition. The size is up to you...my C: drive partition is 15GB. This will hold Windows and all the programs that you may run.
    Everything else move to your other partition.
    Move ONLY your files that you wish to save, i.e. movies, music, games, etc.
    Leave Windows and all your system files where they are, they will be erased when you format and reinstall.
    Then go ahead and reinstall XP just as you normally would.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast