Thread: Sound Problems

(>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    hi folks need a bit of help if possible please.

I have built up a new-ish pc and tried to install my &#39;old&#39; soundcard a soundblaster live&#33; 5.1 using the original cd,however I got a few problems like everything failing the soundblaaster diagnostic test bar the detection of the hardware.....I was getting an error message, so I trawled the net for a bit and got a patch download from soundblaster.com, which once installed got rid of the message however still no sound So I restored my system to the point before I attempted to install the card took it out the pc and decided just to use the onboard sound that is opn my new mobo to save any more hasle....I installed the driver from the cd but still have no sound apparently the microsoft kernel system audio device has no driver, along with MS winmm wdm audio compatibility driver. I am currently trying to track these down but would appreciate greatly any help anyone could provide...or suggestions....as playing games, watching flicks and listenin to music is kinda poop without sound...

Thanks for reading this waffle

Zero

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Have you checked in Device Manager to see if your onboard sound is enabled?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by clocker@15 December 2003 - 17:54
    Have you checked in Device Manager to see if your onboard sound is enabled?
    or check the BIOS.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    hey there, thanks for the replies. Yes I have checked in device manager and the onboard sound is enabled, and yes( think) I have checked in BIOS and the onbard sound is enabled

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Assuming that your volume control is not turned off ( you have checked?), then you can go here for the drivers you mentioned.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    What OS do you have installed ?

A soundblaster card should drop into XP (if it&#39;s XP your using) without a problem, using the most basic pre-installed windows drivers.

Have you tried ithe card in different PCI slots ?

Have you tried removing all other hardware leaving only Graphics & Sound ?

Did the card look ok according to device manager ?

Have you tried the speaker jack plug in all the ports at the back ?
    (sometimes after building a machine we can overlook the silly things, double check all internal connections)

Ultimately you could format the drive and do a fresh install of the OS. Then if the card still wont give sound you can be sure you have a hardware problem of sorts. It could be a faulty board, although I doubt it.
    ABIT NF7s--Athlon 2800--80gbMaxtor--41gbIBM--1024DDRpc3200--PowCol9800XT--Pioneer106DVD/RW--PlextorCD/RW--SonyDVD

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by clocker@15 December 2003 - 18:06
    Assuming that your volume control is not turned off ( you have checked?), then you can go here for the drivers you mentioned.
    thanks clocker doing that now

@Gasha - it worked in my &#39;old&#39; machine with the same OS so not sure why I am havuing problems, though I do have a new graphics setup and did read somewhere that there are apparently problems between ati cards and soundblaster, I think that is probbably unlikely though. Thank you for your help, I&#39;ll go with clocker&#39;s approach just now as it seems a little less drastic and if I take it apart again I may end up with a c5 byu the time I am finished

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Houston we have sound

Thanks everyone for the help

Clocker I had actually googled my problem and found the site youlinked but wasn&#39;t entirely sure what to do, while waiting for help I kept bashing away trying to come up with a solution and finally found it, I downloaded some files from the site but I was using the &#39;normal&#39; way of updating the drivers via the device manager properties but tried ghe &#39;advanced &#39; approach and fiddled about with it and finallty got it

So sorry for wasting all of our time but thank you very much for the help, my music sounds so much bettter now that I can hear the music

Thanks very much all

Zero

p.s. @clocker you finished demolising that case yet